Style > Fashion

10 Trends You Need In Your Closet This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Every season I find myself spending hours combing through Pinterest, Instagram and TikTok looking for inspiration for the coming months. I always find that the changing of seasons is the perfect time to revamp my style and try new things. I’ve done the digging on social media for new trends so you don’t have to. I created a list of my top 10 trends for this spring that fit all aesthetics and crazy weather changes.

1. Denim skirt

Denim skirts have been trendy for a few months now but they’re essential for spring. These can be both mini or maxi for the spring, depending on the weather. I like pairing denim skirts with boots or sneakers and any top. 

2. Bows

Bows are the latest trend in the ballet, coquette, Lana Del Rey vinyl aesthetics. This trend has been seen all over the place. People are wearing bows in their hair, on their shoes, bags and anywhere they see fit. My favorite way to wear bows is hair bows with ribbon or vintage lace. 

3. Adidas sneakers

Popularized by Bella Hadid and Harry Styles, Adidas Sambas and Gazelles have been the hottest sneaker of the year. They pair perfectly with skirts and pants for a sporty, casual look. Adidas recently released a line of pastel Gazelles that have been renamed “Satellite Stompers” by Harry Styles fans. Colorful Adidas are the perfect pop of color in a basic outfit and the black and white pairs are a great everyday sneaker.

4. White skirts

Even though a white skirt seems like a closet basic and not a trend, they have become a closet essential for spring 2023. White maxi or midi skirts can be worn with everything. They work with tee shirts, party tops, sweaters, boots, sneakers and anything else you can imagine. 

5. cowboy boots

Cowboy boots are a key piece for the coastal cowgirl aesthetic. These boots can be a traditional cowboy boot style or a vintage style cowboy boot like the campus boot. I have been loving cowboy boots in warm weather with shorts to give “Daisy Jones and the Six” or with long skirts to give Bella Hadid.

6. Belts

Belts have been on the outs for a few years now because they can be boring and give off mother vibes but they are back this spring and are better than ever. Medallion and statement belts are at the top of my spring thrift list. Belts are the perfect accessory for any outfit. I’ve really been liking leather belts with statement buckles and long boho belts. Vintage statement belts are best worn mid or low-rise with any outfit.

7. pendant necklaces

Just like statement belts are back, so are statement necklaces but this time they are much more toned down. Cord pendant necklaces are the perfect addition to any spring look over a top or on the chest. Pendant necklaces are easy to come by for the spring both second-hand and in retail stores. Urban Outfitters sells several options as well as resale platforms. You can also find vintage pendants online or get new ones at your local craft store and make your own necklace.

8. Lace

All things lace are essential for warmer weather. People all over TikTok are wearing sheer lace skirts and dresses with T-shirts or matching underwear. This trend might not be for everyone depending on your comfort level but you can switch it up based on what you feel comfortable in. This could mean lace tops with a bralette underneath or lace bows tied on your bag.

9. off the shoulder tops

Off-the-shoulder sweaters have been trending for a while now but the weather changes mean new variations. Off-the-shoulder short sleeves are the perfect, sexy top that can be worn both dressed up and casually. You can also wear off-the-shoulder T-shirts for a casual look. It is really easy to DIY these tops with what you already have in your closet and they are a great way to up-cycle clothes you don’t wear anymore. 

10. tube tops

Lastly, I have been loving tube tops this spring. This may seem like a basic but tube tops are the perfect everyday top. They can be paired with jeans on a warm day or with a bolero on a chilly day. Solid color tube tops can also be an amazing stable in your closet to pair with pattern bottoms.

Sadie Kinzer is a junior at VCU, majoring in fashion merchandising with a minor in media studies. She loves reading and thrifting and spends time finding the best thrift stores around. She is interested in fashion and pop culture.