10 Tips for Staying Calm on Election Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Congratulations America, we’ve reached the end of a long and grueling election season. It’s consisted of Twitter wars, unfriending your old high school classmates on Facebook, arguments with family members who have opposing views and trying to find any sliver of hope during a time when things just seem to be a mess. Regardless of who you support, Tuesday Nov. 8 is going to be intense, and it will be the final tantalizing event of this seemingly never ending election. Tensions will be high during those 24 hours but we will survive, and here’s how:

1. Talk to your parents

Call or text the people who can get you through any situation. Parents are typically able to fulfill this role, but this can be applied to anyone that you consider a safe place. Talk about anything and everything that doesn’t have to do with the election to distract yourself for a little while.  

2. Look at videos/pictures of your pet(s) 

This is another method of distraction. Go through your camera roll and watch all of the cute videos of your pet and look at all the selfies you’ve taken with them. When you finish, or if you don’t have a pet of your own, go through animal Instagram accounts and cute Facebook videos.

3. Watch videos of Obama doing cute Obama things 

Watch Obama’s best speeches, interactions with children/animals and videos of him with his family. These are easily accessible on YouTube and Facebook. Make sure to save your favorite ones to go back to after he’s out of office and you start missing him.

4. Watch inspiring Facebook videos 

Find videos showing good people doing good deeds. Remind yourself that the world is a beautiful place and there are wonderful people within it.

5. Watch the “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” episode where the gang runs for office 

This episode is hilarious and somewhat relevant. You’ll have to take my word on this one, just watch it.

6. Listen to incredibly mellow, soothing music to calm you down 

Close your eyes and put your headphones in with the most relaxing music you can find playing through them. Let yourself unwind for a minute before returning to the election results.

7. Listen to incredibly loud, angry music to release some frustration 

After looking at the election results, if necessary, blast some intense music that makes you feel your own blood boil. Let yourself get angry for a little while.

8. Take a trip down memory lane by laughing at the works of art that are 2016 election memes 

Let’s be honest, if the 2016 election has done anything for us it’s provided us with the best political memes in history.

9. Rewatch the “Saturday Night Live” election 2016 skits 

SNL got handed fantastic material to work with this season in regards to the election and came up with genius comedy sketches. Alec Baldwin and Kate McKinnon were perfect fits to represent the two candidates and the final sketch that was aired on Saturday is almost touching and was a perfect way to end election season on SNL.

10. Watch the election results with friends by your side 

Watch the results with friends so you can all share in this experience. While it’s stressful and nerve wracking it’s also important to be involved in the fate of your country and it’ll be more fulfilling to go through it with your closest friends. 

thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Katie is a freshman at VCU studying mass communications with a concentration in journalism. She loves attending concerts, James Franco's instagram selfies, quoting Will Ferrell movies, and her two dogs Laila and Frazier. You can follow her on twitter and instagram @katiebashista. 
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!