This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

It’s finally my favorite season! To celebrate, I made a Spotify playlist with 50 songs I think give off “fall vibes.” I don’t really have one genre of music I stick to, but I would say this list consists of mostly alternative and indie tracks with some pop, rock and folk nodes. They are not necessarily happy songs, I tend to gravitate toward emotional songs during the fall. I picture myself listening to these songs while walking to class, stepping on crunchy leaves, or while indoors, sipping a latte and watching the rain. Here are ten songs off my “Fall Slay” playlist you should add to yours.

“Warm Ways” by Fleetwood Mac

This song feels like a warm hug on a cold day. “Fleetwood Mac” never misses and adds some nostalgic feeling to the playlist. 

“Amoeba” by Clairo

Clairo’s latest album “Sling” reminds me of the weather getting colder, even though it was released during the summer. “Sling” is a no-skip album in my opinion. Out of all the tracks, “Amoeba” is a bop so I felt it deserves to be on this list. I saw Clairo in concert in Richmond this past February and she was amazing. I would definitely recommend giving “Sling” a listen if you haven’t. 

“Across the Universe” by Fiona Apple

Fiona Apple puts a twist on one of my favorite Beatles songs in her cover from the movie “Pleasantville.” Who doesn’t love apples in the fall?

“Linger” by the Cranberries

“The Cranberries” Irish lead singer has such a cool, unique voice. Their album “Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can’t We?” has some bangers and I think this one especially fits well with the fall vibe. 

“1979” by the Smashing Pumpkins 

I had to include the “Smashing Pumpkins” on this list for their name, of course. Pumpkins are a staple in the autumnal months. This song is fantastic, with its upbeat tempo and cool lyricism.

“Sappho” by Frankie Cosmos

Off Frankie Cosmos’ album, “Next Thing,” “Sappho” has a round balance of light, airy vocals and grounding instrumentals. If you like this song, the whole album is worth a listen. 

“Fade into You” by Mazzy Star

While popular and used often in film and television, this dreamy track still makes me cry if it’s the right time of day. I don’t consider music making you feel a bad thing, and “Mazzy Star” does this type of song so well.   

“Ceilings” by Lizzy McAlpine

Lizzy McAlpine released her latest album “five seconds flat” this year and while I don’t know if it surpasses her last one “Give Me a Minute,” it has some amazing tracks such as this one. Her voice is so effortlessly beautiful and the way she tells stories with her music is impressive. 

“Between the Bars” by Elliot Smith

This song brings a nostalgic feeling and is one of my favorites by Elliot Smith. It definitely belongs on any fall playlist.  

“All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” by Taylor Swift

What would this playlist be without a Taylor Swift song? She embodies fall, having released at least seven of her albums in the season. One of my favorite songs of hers is “All Too Well” off her re-record of the album “Red.” 

I kept this list to ten songs but a few honorable mentions that didn’t make the list are: “Bloom” by the Paper Kites, “Anything” by Adrianne Lenker, “Halloween” by Phoebe Bridgers, “Birdie” by Father John Misty and “Everlong” by the Foo Fighters. Here is the link to my “Fall Slay” playlist on Spotify if you want to check it out. Happy fall!

Maddie Quigley is a political science major with a minor in media studies. She is a vegetarian, plant-lover, avid reader and she enjoys talking politics.