This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If hearing that there’s a traffic jam because there’s a loose cow in the road or having horses as your neighbors doesn’t alarm you, chances are you grew up in a small town. While there are definitely perks and quirks to living in a small town, anyone who grew up in a small town can relate to these 10 things:

1. You knew everyone in your high school…and probably their grandma, too. It wasn’t that you were super popular and knew everybody, and it wasn’t that you only knew the people in your graduating class. You knew everyone’s name in your high school, who they dated AND who their siblings were.

2. You had a movie theater that played less than five movies at a time. Don’t expect comfy movie theater chairs, arcade games or showings of the latest movies. This movie theater shows fewer movies than you have fingers, but it’s probably the only source of entertainment you had.

3. Restaurant options were little to none. Craving a chain restaurant or a fancy dinner? Chances are your hometown doesn’t have many of either and you’ll have to travel more than half an hour.

4. Most local businesses are closed on Sundays. You’re starving and try going to five different restaurants, then come to the slow realization that every single place is closed on Sundays.

5. No one in college knows where you’re from. “You’re from…where?” The easiest way to explain where you’re from is to reference the closest major city.

6. You can’t go into Walmart without seeing someone you know. You have to make sure that you have a full face of makeup and hair done for a trip to Walmart because you’ll see at least half of your graduating class.

7. Your teachers often taught your siblings and/or parents at one point or another. Even in your textbooks you’ll find your siblings name in the textbooks.

8. You frequently give directions by acknowledging local landmarks. If someone gives you a street name, you have no idea where you are. You need directions in terms of “blue barn” or “The Smith’s house”.

9. You were often late because you’d get stuck behind a tractor. Add in 15 minutes to each ride to account for any tractors or farm equipment you’ll get stuck behind.

10. Going “downtown” isn’t to a bar or club, it’s to antique shops. When you’re home and you’re parents ask you to go downtown it means something completely different than when you’re at college and your friends ask you to go downtown.

As much as you love to hate it, you’re probably feeling nostalgic and dying to go back now!

photo credits: cover

VCU Contributor Account