10 Perks of Being a Journalism Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

If the AP Style book is your best friend and you always carry a notebook with you, chances are you’re a journalism major. Sure, being a journalism major is stressful at times, but there are more positives than negatives. Here are 10 perks that come with being a journalism major:

1. You rarely have tests or exams

You might have an exam or test a few times a semester but most of your midterms or finals consist of stories and projects.

2. You get to attend amazing events and meet new people

While working on an assignment for one of your classes you get special access to cool events such as debates, meetings or festivals and all while doing “homework.” You also get to meet new people with amazing and inspiring life stories.

3. You have open-ended creativity

Most of the time you can write about whatever your heart desires. Even when you are given a topic you can do what you want with it and put your own spin on it.

4. There’s no math and science

Being a journalism major, chances are you always liked history and English more than math and science. On the rare occasion that you have to do math, like for instance finding a statistic, you just grab a calculator.

5. You’re always learning

Since your job will be to inform the public, you first must inform yourself. Before reporting on a new thing or idea, doing your research will benefit your interview and or writing process and it’s always exciting to learn something new.

6. You become more social

Even if you’re a shy person, being a journalism major will force you to come out of your shell. You have to ask people questions and dive in deep to get a good story. No more cowering in corners for you.

7. You’ll never get bored

There’s always something going on in this crazy world, therefore there’s always something for you to write and report on. You will always be busy and there will never be a boring moment in your major and your future career.

8. You feel proud seeing your name in a byline

No, that’s not just another news article, you wrote this one. You put your blood, sweat, tears and time into writing and possibly interviewing for this article. Seeing your name in that by line always makes you feel accomplished.

9. You’re a great speller

Whenever a friend asks “How do spell ____?” you have the correct and immediate response. People always come to you when they don’t know how to spell a word. You can spell a word in a blink of an eye.

10. You’re super fast at editing

You’ve learned all the editing tricks and AP style throughout your college career, with your almost expert knowledge you can edit your own articles and stories quickly. Whenever your friends have difficulty editing their papers, you have no problem helping them out.

If you work hard, love writing and are passionate about current events, majoring in journalism is a great fit for you. Don’t let anyone tell you that you won’t find a job after graduation, keep on writing and publishing your work and prove them wrong.

Photo credit: Cover photo, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

Ashley is a Senior at Virginia Commmonwealth University majoring in mass communications concentrating in print & online journalism. She is the Senior Editor for Her Campus at VCU and a member of the Society of Professional Journalists at VCU. She is an avid coffee drinker, dog lover and dreamer. She hopes to one day be a reporter for a newspaper, magazine, or an online version of the two.
Keziah is a writer for Her Campus. She is majoring in Fashion Design with a minor in Fashion Merchandising. HCXO!