Style

10 More Costumes You Can Make With Items You Already Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at VCU chapter.

Complete costumes from a party store can look great, but can sometimes break the bank. Thankfully, you don’t have to look anywhere past your closet to prepare for the upcoming five-day Halloweekend. Last year, we gave you ten costumes you can make with items from your closet and now we’re back with ten more ideas! 

Maddie and Cassie

Dress up as one of the main characters from everyone’s favorite show last fall, “Euphoria.” Believe it or not, the iconic bestie duo’s memorable fits can be put together quickly. For Maddie, think anything black and sexy. To really nail the look, wear a black halter crop top and any variation you have of side cutout pants. Cassie’s color in the show was no doubt baby blue. Think a crop top you may already own or a glittery blue bodycon dress. The makeup is truly what made these looks so iconic, so don’t hold back on the eyeliner.

Carrie

Iconic horror movies are the perfect places to find costume inspo. Recreating the iconic “Carrie” prom scene is truly easier than you may think, but does require that whatever you wear may be ruined. Try thrifting a white slip dress or even an extravagant gown and then go to town with cherries to stain the look. After that, all you need to buy is a crown from your favorite party store.

Black Swan

Pair your favorite black going-out top with a mini tutu for an easy black swan costume. Bonus points if you have a black corset or structured top. Then all you have to do is throw your hair in a bun and do the iconic makeup from the movie to really sell the look.

Joker

Like many of the looks above, this costume is all about the details. Clothing-wise, all you need is a purple jacket or blazer to get the idea across. Next, simply grab some green hair paint or temporary spray and exaggerate your lipstick. Whatever you pair with it underneath from a dress to a crop top will be the perfect canvas for bold hair and makeup.

Daphne and Velma

It is super easy to make costumes out of your clothes for yet another iconic best friend duo. For Daphne, anything purple will do whether it’s a cozy set or dress. To really set the reference, strive for lavender and pair it with a green scarf or headband. Velma’s costume is just as easy. All you need is an orange top, red bottoms and a pair of glasses to transform into the famous cartoon character.

the Cheetah Girls

Have a bright solid color matching set? You’re halfway to being a cheetah girl! Use a cheetah or leopard print top underneath or even accessories to really get the idea across. Matching with a friend or three will really sell this look along with matching other details like the same color shoes or hairstyle.

Jessica Rabbit

Have a red formal dress at the back of your closet? You have all you need to transform into Jessica Rabbit. Do your hair in an extravagant side part and go bold with the makeup to ooze that old Hollywood glam. To complete the look, all you have to buy is a pair of purple gloves from your favorite party store.

80s barbie

80s fashion has come back in microtrends that we may not even realize are references to the past. To nail the classic 80s workout Barbie look, pair a bodysuit from your closet with tights and legwarmers. Throw on a headband and sit your hair in a high pony in true throwback fashion. 

Lilo

As it gets colder outside, stand out by channeling those tropical vibes. To dress as Lilo from “Lilo and Stitch,” all you need is a red crop top and a green skirt. Wear your hair down and DIY the rest of the look with dollar store supplies from the leaf crown to the anklets. 

Patrick Star

For the girlies who love “Spongebob,” add your own spark to Patrick Star. Pair a pink top with green shorts to mimic Patrick. Fishnets and high high-heeled platform boots are a must to match the famous meme. Lastly, all you need is a pink kid’s birthday party hat to top things off and transform into the starfish.

Halloween is a celebration of looks and styles most of us wouldn’t wear on a daily basis, so, remember most of all, have fun with your looks and get creative!

Taya Coates is a senior studying fashion merchandising and minoring in journalism. She hopes to pursue a career as a fashion editor and eventually start her own publication. She is passionate about covering stories on style, social activism, and culture.