This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Black History Month is a great time to reflect on the Black women who have greatly influenced our past and who are shaping our future. The following three women come from completely different backgrounds but share the same ability of being examples of Black excellence in their fields. 

Chloe x Halle 

“Don’t let the world take back all the love you gave out” – Baby Girl

Vocalists. Producers. Songwriters. Actresses. Performers. Musical Prodigies. 

These are just a few of the words that can be used to describe the multi-talented sister duo Chloe x Halle. Sponsored by Beyoncé herself, Chloe and Halle Bailey have been in the entertainment industry for years, starring in shows such as Grown-ish and releasing musical projects under Parkwood Entertainment. However, upon the release of their now three-time Grammy-nominated album Ungodly Hour in 2020, the duo reached new levels of notability. Chloe x Halle didn’t let the pandemic stop them from delivering breathtaking performances every week on a now renowned tennis court, their artistry and virtuosity evident in every pitch perfect note. These two women are shaking the very foundation of the music industry with a distinct pop and R&B style that is all their own, and I can’t wait to see where they go next. 

Amanda Gorman 

“We will raise this wounded world into a wondrous one”- The Hill We Climb

22 year-old Amanda Gorman is a Harvard College graduate who is the first ever National Youth Poet Laureate in the United States. She has recited her work at events such as the Inauguration of President Joe Biden and the 55th annual Super Bowl…and that was just during the first two months of 2021. Amanda Gorman has made history at such a young age because of her ability to transform words into a force that can emotionally move and compel a nation to become something better than what it is. Now more than ever, we need a guiding voice to pull us forward to a brighter future and Amanda Gorman has shown us that she is that voice.   

Dr. Kizzmekia Corbett 

“My science is for the streets” – Dr. Kizzmekia Corbett

Dr. Kizzmekia Corbett is an African-American viral immunologist who was at the forefront of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine development. She has been recognized by the nation’s most respected leaders, such as Dr. Anthony Fauci who stated “that the vaccine you are going to be taking was developed by an African American woman. And that is just a fact.”

Now, Dr. Corbett has made it her mission to educate communities of color, namely black communities in order to dispel misinformation and fears about the vaccine. When asked to speak at high-profile events, she made it clear that her only focus is in “giving scientific talks that invite and incorporate the community” saying that her science “is for the streets.”

Dr. Corbett’s intelligence, leadership, and commitment to health equity serves as an inspiration to all Black women who are entering STEM fields and may find themselves as the only WOC in the room. She is an example that by remaining confident in your skills and in yourself, you can take yourself to places that previously seemed unattainable.

Chioma Chukwuma

Vanderbilt '23

My name is Chioma and I am a Political Science major at Vanderbilt University! When I'm not working on academics, you can find me reading a fantasy novel, writing a story, or scrolling through Twitter.
Madison Edwards

Vanderbilt '21

Madison is a Campus Trendsetter and Campus Correspondent. She is currently majoring in Human and Organizational Development at Vanderbilt University. Madison enjoys traveling and trying new foods, and can always be found drinking a good cup of coffee :)