Why He Hasn’t Called You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

“Will he ever call me?”

This is the question that many women have asked themselves before. Ladies, have you ever waited anxiously for the guy of your dreams to call you?  I’m sure most women have.  In the ideal situation, you have received those calls.  However, things don’t always pan out that way.  Sometimes women don’t receive the call.  They’re left drowning in despair—or chocolate — if they actually care that much.  If you’ve ever been in this situation, you know exactly what I’m talking about.  No fear, ladies!  I’m here to help you understand why your dream guy has not called you.  For the sake of brevity, I’ll give you four possible reasons.  He hasn’t called you because:

1. He met you while you were tipsy or drunk. 
Now there’s nothing wrong with a little social drinking, especially in a college setting.  However, social drinking must be done in moderation.  Besides, double standards do indeed exist, and the relationship between drinking and gender just so happens to be one of them.  If you were tipsy or drunk when a guy met you, he might assume you get tipsy/drunk often.  That may not be the case, and that judgment may be unfair.  However, this judgment is sometimes passed. 

2. He never asked for your phone number. 
Many people say that times have changed.  According to these people, women no longer have to wait for men to approach them.  That’s true.  Women can approach men, ask for their numbers, and ask them to go out to dinner.  However, I strongly advise against this tactic for most situations.  I’ve heard many men say they appreciate a woman more if they had to chase her.  In other words, men like to hunt.  So give them a challenge!  Allow them to woo you— you won’t regret it.  After all, the phone calls are a part of the chase. 

3. He’s busy!
I know what some of you are thinking: Of course a guy will find time to call you if he’s interested in you!  That’s definitely true of guys you’re in intimate relationships with.  However, a guy doesn’t usually just meet you one day and make you a priority the next.  You have to earn that special place in his life.  There were parents, friends, cousins, career(s), and hobbies before your dream guy met you, and those things still exist.  Truth be told, they’re more important to him than a woman he just met…that woman being you.  So just give it time.  Busy Mr. Right will eventually get around to calling you if he’s really interested. 

4. He’s just not that into you.  (Like the movie.)
I know it sounds harsh, but it just might be true.  Let’s face it.  Nobody is perfect, and there is no one on Earth who can honestly say he/she is attracted to everybody.  Take that loss and move on.  There is a man out there who will dig you just as much as you dig him.  Besides, the guy who you thought was Mr. Right probably has uncontrollable chest hair anyway.  But then again, maybe he has Robert Pattinson abs…minus the spray paint… Hmmm. Wait. Don’t think about that.

My advice?  Just focus on yourself.  I truly believe we attract people who are very similar to us.  Therefore, the more you grow the more likely you are to find a partner who has grown as well.  Know your worth, and don’t settle for anything less than you deserve.  Also, be aware that there are exceptions to the rules I have mentioned above.  Therefore, you should be yourself above all else and find someone who is willing to deal with you at your best and your worst.

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!