Style > Beauty

What You Need to Know to Truly Embrace Your Natural Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

First of all when you’re black and dealing with the hair that grows out of your own head, it seems that err’body ‘n they mama got something to say about how it should look or behave.

And don’t get me started about the natural hair community at large. Everybody has their own standard for “good” hair. Like for some, it’s their bouncy, loose curls that fall gracefully over their shoulders, but then they shit all over women and girls who have kinkier hair textures. What’s the deal??

People who “don’t get” natural hair or think that it’s unprofessional need to take several seats. Same for the ones who put their fingers in my curls and  ask “How do you get your hair to do that?” The fuck you mean, “that”? This is how my hair grows. Like out of my head.

But with all of that being said, the biggest takeaway is that your hair grows out of your head, and no one other than you can lay claim to it. So, how do you embrace your hair so that you become unclockable? The first thing is making sure you actually know your hair. People tend to only think that their hair type is the only thing that matters when choosing products, styling, washing or doing anything with their hair. Yes, hair typing is important, but it’s not the end of the world if you don’t know. The hair typing system is an alphanumeric category that moves from straight to kinky and the varying textures therein.

Another big characteristic of hair is its porosity, which many naturalists say is the most important. Porosity, in a nutshell, means how fast moisture escapes from your hair after you wash or put products in it.  The porosity all depends on what your hair cuticle looks like, but if you don’t have a microscope handy, a good test is taking a strand of your clean, dry hair with no product and placing it in a bowl of room temperature water. If your hair sits on top of the water, you have low porosity; if it sinks to the bottom, you have high porosity. The results of that test can determine what kind of products you should use on your hair, and can change the overall health and look of your hair.

Once you know which type of products your hair needs, don’t be afraid to layer your products. It helps retain moisture and you get the most retention as far as days in between washing your hair again. But more than anything, find hairstyles you like. Natural hair is the most versatile so the possibilities are endless. And on the off chance you’re having a bad hair day, just throw on a head wrap. They look great, and protect your hair from the elements.  

Honestly, just have fun and experiment. It’s your hair, do what you want! Who cares?

A cryptid with lots to say about lots of things. An English major with no sense of self-preservation. 꼬맹이.
Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."