This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

BeReal. The name itself communicates its purpose. In the age of highly curated Instagrams, where almost all users try to achieve a highly specific image and aesthetic, BeReal offers an escape from that.The app allows users to show their authentic selves, as nobody knows when the notification to take a photo of their surroundings is going to go off. Of course, there are ways around this authenticity – users can post a late BeReal, and retakes are allowed. Yet, there is a sense of achievement or honor associated with being on time, and having fewer retakes. While the literal app is simplistic in its use and concept, I believe that there are deeper things at play contributing to the app’s popularity. 

To begin with, there is always power when a large group of people does the same thing all at once. For BeReal, I believe that this functions as a community builder. Community is something that is so prevalent on social media; it is what makes interactions on the internet seem personable, and it has given so many influencers the opportunity to make money off various platforms. The BeReal community is different though, as many people only have those that they know (flashback to the pioneer days of “MySpace). The lack of strangers and the synchronism of the app makes it one of the last places on the internet that is a genuine reflection of the people in their lives.  In addition to the connection that BeReal facilitates, the absence of advertisements as well as influencers who are able to monetize posts and profit from reactions is another important factor that sets BeReal apart from all other platforms today. This furthers the app’s ethos of authenticity. 

Yet, in what ways is authentic social media an oxymoron within itself? There is no doubt that BeReal is the most legitimate form of “real social media.” Is that really saying much though? Just because BeReal is free from much of the pressure that accompanies other social media platforms, doesn’t mean that it is completely free from toxicity. Many of my friends have told me that they have hurt their own feelings by checking someone’s BeReal reactions. In addition, BeReal can still bring about feelings of FOMO, and seclusion- when everyone you have on the app is doing something, when you’re not. There is also the disruption of genuine moments shared with friends when that BeReal notification comes. Not only does everyone stop to take and pose for their BeReal, a period of silent scrolling follows. 

I think it says something about our generation, as we are all longing for connection and genuineness in today’s world, and we turn to another platform of social media to fill that void. In what ways have we redefined authenticity? What is lost, and what is gained in that re-definition? 

Reagan Tyler

Vanderbilt '26

My name is Reagan Tyler, I am an Elementary education and English major. My hobbies include reading, yoga, and finding new coffee shops.