This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Photo: http://kingdomtelco.wordpress.com/2009/11/

A few days ago, I impatiently awaited the season finale of one of my new favorite webisodes: The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl. Let’s face it- we’ve all had our awkward moments extending beyond the high school/middle school awkward phase, and this YouTube webisode illustrates these moments to perfection. But as I hit the refresh button every thirty minutes hoping the 12th episode would magically appear, I started thinking… is our generation really this awkward? One of the more popular ongoing Twitter trending topics is #thatawkwardmomentwhen [insert awkward moment here]. But why are we so awkward? Is it because we’re constantly sending a text message, an e-mail, or posting our feelings on Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr rather than talking over the phone or, better yet, talking to someone face-to-face? Or is life just naturally awkward? I personally don’t have the answer, but I do have an awkward moment I would like to share with you, entitled “Message Sent.”

I think it’s safe to say that the majority of us have been guilty of sending a text message to the wrong person, and I’m not just talking about sending hello to John and not Billy. Here’s the scenario: You and your friend Amy had a huge blow up over whatever it is girls usually fight about. The argument ended, but you’re still fuming and pissed off about what Amy just said. So in an effort to let out your frustrations you begin typing this long text venting to another friend. You call Amy a selfish spoiled [insert curse word here] who just doesn’t respect you or your feelings, etc. You put some words in CAPS to emphasize that you mean business and even insert a few exclamation points to emphasize the emphasis!!!! You typed in the person’s name you’re sending the message to, and as you press the send button you suddenly realize you typed in Amy’s name. The first thought that pops into your mind: Oh [expletive]. Frantically you try and delete, go backwards, press end, anything to stop that message from sending, but alas the dreaded Message Sent appears.

It’s time for damage control. What can you say to make the situation better?  Send another long text with an extended I’m sooooooooooooo soooooorrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy, feverishly apologizing for the text you just sent and how you didn’t mean anything you just said, even though you really meant every word of it. Because you aren’t sorry for what you said, you’re just sorry that you were dumb enough to get caught. But that’s beside the point. Will an apology text truly make up for basically telling your friend everything that’s wrong with her? Probably not, but you can pretend like it worked so you can feel better about yourself. And even if Amy did forgive you, it’s still in the back of her mind how you truly feel about her. Talk about awkward.

How would you handle this situation? Post a comment and tell us what you would have done! 

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!