SEC Champs: An Experience of a Lifetime

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

That’s right, the Vanderbilt men’s basketball team now proudly wears the title of SEC Champions, and I had the amazing opportunity to witness their victory first-hand. A few months before the tournament, I was asked to help volunteer as a media assistant during the SEC Tournament and jumped at the opportunity to do so. After all, it was a once in a lifetime experience working for the SEC while cheering on my Commodores. Not only did I gain experience in a field of work I’m interested in, but I also experienced New Orleans for the first time with a group of people I’d never met before.

Looking back, this experience provided me with not only fun and excitement, but also immense personal growth. I’d never traveled anywhere by myself before, and in all honesty, I was nervous not knowing what awaited me at the other end of my flight.  I was the only Vanderbilt volunteer and almost all the other volunteers came with a group of other students they knew. Would everyone clique up? Would they welcome me into their group, or would I just be the outcast of the trip? But I wasn’t just worried about making friends and fitting in- I also wondered whether or not I could handle traveling on my own and essentially being in NOLA by myself.

However, my mind was easily put to rest when I met my roommate later that night, who quickly welcomed me into her circle of Mississippi State friends. We all went to dinner and I was excited to try some authentic New Orleans cuisine, that is, until I saw the prices. I had to settle for an appetizer of shrimp mac n’ cheese just so I could make my money last the entire week. New Orleans was rich with culture, Bourbon Street buzzed with music and laughter, and naturally, the streets were covered in a sea of blue. Kentucky had officially invaded the city.

As a media assistant, I assisted in pre-game and post-game operations and watched all of the teams play from one of the best seats in the house. Some of the nights were long and grueling, but that didn’t stop me from exploring the city, while at the same time making some amazing new friends from Florida, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama. Even though I was the only Vanderbilt student, I never once felt isolated from the others. And of course, the best part of the trip was watching Vanderbilt upset Kentucky to win the SEC Tournament for the first time since 1951.

If there’s one lesson I can take away from this experience, it’s to not be afraid to try new things and get outside of your comfort zone. You’ll surprise yourself just how easily you can make new friends you probably would have never made. Take advantage of opportunities thrown your way and don’t ever limit yourself. Trust me, you won’t regret it.

Me in the corner right after Vanderbilt upset Kentucky to take the title of SEC Champs. (Photo Credit: Mara Rudolph)

Some of the volunteers and me after the final game. (Photo Cred: Jonathan Palmer)

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!