Scarves for Spring!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

It’s officially spring, and while most of you are probably itching to put your cold-weather clothes in the back of your closet, you might want to think again. If you’ve been using scarves to add color to your drab winter wardrobe, you should consider using them to liven up a basic spring outfit as well! 

Celebrities are always being spotted wearing bright, beautiful scarves with basic white tees, and with SO many scarves on the market, you really can’t go wrong. Use some of your winter ones and go out a buy a few more- you can never have too many! Plus, by buying one of the scarves from fashionABLE or Nepali by TDM, you’ll be supporting nonprofit organizations that help women in Africa and Nepal, respectively. Think of scarves like jewelry and you’ll be looking adorable all season long! 

Frehiwot Scarf in Rose Red — fashionABLE 

fashionABLE is an extremely fashion-forward brand that is linked to an amazing cause.  Instead of just throwing money at the issue of poverty in Africa, fashionABLE is looking for a more long-term solution. They employ women and help them get started in the business of manufacturing scarves, while at the same time ensuring that they get paid fair wages. Each style is named after one of the women, and every scarf is absolutely stunning. The scarf shown above is perfect for layering with a basic tee and jeans! 

Aries Horoscope Murfee Scarf — Lilly Pulitzer

A classic in the world of scarves, the Lilly Pulitzer Murfee adds color and a touch of whimsy to just about any outfit. But starting this month, Lilly is releasing their favorite scarf in prints that correspond with your horoscope! So far, only Aries is out, but if you have any friends with birthdays between March 21 and April 9, this could be the perfect gift! The Aries print in particular would look cute and preppy with a white tank and a khaki skirt.

Bambi Paisley in Golden Poppy/Black — Nepali by TDM 

Nepali by TDM is another amazing brand that gives back. It works with the cottage industry in Nepal to provide the women there with good wages, healthcare, and even scholarships for their children. The founder of this brand, Michelle Baldwin, believes that initiatives like her own will help to break the cycle of poverty in Nepal and all over the world. These scarves are truly one of a kind, and while they might be a bit pricey, they’re worth every dime. This particular scarf would look great with a navy top and white pants! 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.