This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Plaid Please.

Plaid has one of the most dynamic histories of all fashion trends. I received my first plaid skirt from my grandparents when they moved to Scotland. Historically, plaid is associated with Scottish tradition. This crisscross vertical and horizontal pattern became a national emblem after the British banned it for 36 years when they voraciously conquered Scotland.

Setting the Stage for the Punk Revolution.

The historical ban on plaid served as a precursor to the fashion’s modern revolutionary statement. In the 1970s and 1980s, British discontent and the rise of rock music led to a cultural revolution. Punk-rock teens with fiery mohawks, studded jeans, and Doc Marten boots dominated the fashion scene, as a type of rebellion against the British Royalty. Vivienne Westwood provoked this movement and dominated international runways with her haute couture plaid designs.

90s Plaid Grunge

In the 90s, the Grunge Musical Genre reintroduced plaid. During this era, thrift shopping and grungy-hipsters took the stage. The hipster movement began to soar, which I believe is the “intellectual rebellion” of the modern age.

2013 Plaid

This fall, plaid dominated Marc Jacobs, Saint Laurent, Philip Lim, and Burberry runways. Burberry has always maintained a classic plaid pattern, separate from the rebellious plaid movement. The plaid of the present is a chic revolution, rather than a punk rebellion. Plaid is layered, mixed with fine prints, and has taken on a chic, luxurious look.  Doc Martens are back, but the designs have taken on a haute couture look, straying from the studded punk look.

Hipster Chic.

My outfit represents plaid’s evolution. I mix a hipster flannel with a chic Burberry skirt and combat boots. I would say that I border a chic-hipster style. Although I love posh plaid, I do represent a part of the intellectual rebellion of the present due to my curiousity.  I am a Wicker Park (kinda hip)–Gold Coast girl (super chic). I am a mixture of two worlds.

Plaid Essentials:

1. FREE PEOPLE  Johnny Plaid Top

2. DKNY Graphic Plaid Tights 

3. TOP SHOP Navy Check Plaid Shorts 

4. TOP SHOP Knitted Sheer Check Jumper 

5. DOC MARTEN 1460 W Boot 

Dream Big!
Xoxo
Larz

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.