This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

I am embarrassed to admit that I was slow to warm up to Lana Del Rey’s work. I never understood her appeal. Particularly after the singer’s tweet in 2020 that scandalized many artists of color, to say I was not a fan would be an understatement. However, after persistence from my friend to give Lana Del Rey’s music another chance, it clicked. If you’re like me and not immediately drawn to the singer-songwriter, try these four songs. 

1. “Diet Mountain Dew” – This was the first song that made me rethink my position on Lana Del Rey’s work. Not only is the song a departure from the slower, more eerie typical Del Rey song, the content of the lyrics is also very playful. The opening of this song “you’re no good for me, you’re no good for me, but baby I want you” set the tone for my summer, and is a frequent mood whenever I need to take a risk. This song is a perfect gateway drug for Del Rey’s discography as it is not depressing, and yet has the perfect amount of chaos. 
  2. “Lust for Life” (feat. The Weeknd)- This song, similar to “Diet Mountain Dew” has a level of playfulness that is perfect for those that aren’t completely ready for the extremism that many of Del Rey’s songs have. The Weeknd’s voice perfectly compliments Del Rey’s and the duet adds a level of depth that is missing in “Diet Mountain Dew.” This song is more of a getting-ready, late-night drive vibe. It is the perfect way to teeter the edge between Del Rey’s authenticity without being in the depths of her consciousness that many of her songs transport listeners to. 
  3. “Dark Paradise”- As one can probably guess from the name, this song is more of a dive into the gloom that Del Rey is largely associated with. However, this song does have a somewhat upbeat temp that tempers the sadness in the lyrics. This song is a good way to experience Del Rey’s depth in a variety of moods due to the tempo. Due to the lyrics and the melodic riffs, it is also a valid song to use when you want to embrace your sadness or defeat, as we all have those moments as well. 
  4. “Brooklyn Baby”- This song is different from most Del Rey songs as it is not exactly sad, or playful, and yet it is a perfect fit into her discography. I see this song as perfect for a road trip with friends, as it makes me appreciate my youth, imperfections, and impermanence of this period of my life. The lyric “my boyfriend’s cool, but he’s not as cool as me” is my favorite as it is a refreshing departure from her idolization of many of the men she sings about. 
  5. “Chemtrails Over the Country Club”- This song is probably the most obscure one on the list. It is not depressing per se, but it is slow and the iconic Del Rey whisper is a main character in the song. As an astrology girl, the line “my moon’s in Leo, my cancer is sun” is what made me feel like I belonged as a Del Rey stan. This song is more of a chill late-night or dinner party vibe. 
Reagan Tyler

Vanderbilt '26

My name is Reagan Tyler, I am an Elementary education and English major. My hobbies include reading, yoga, and finding new coffee shops.