Meet Simone Abella, Director of the Gamma Chi Program!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Simone Abella is a senior at Vanderbilt University and the current Director of the Gamma Chi Program. For those of you participating in formal Panhellenic recruitment, a Gamma Chi is a disaffiliated Greek woman who leads a group of potential new members through the recruitment process. Simone currently leads all of the Gamma Chis by helping to train and organize them.

Q: What is your major?
A: English, with a double minor in Biological Sciences and Chemistry. 

Q: What does your average day look like?
A: I try and keep my classes scheduled during the morning, so I can make all my meetings and lab research without any conflicts. I’m usually out and about from 10 am to 8pm!

Q: What responsibilities does your title include?
A: I’m overseeing the Gamma Chi program for Panhellenic Council, the governing body of our Panhellenic sororities on campus. I communicate with Gamma Chis about the recruitment process and any concerns their potential new members may have, and act as a liaison between the Gamma Chis and the Panhellenic Council.

Q: What is your favorite part of the Gamma Chi program?
A: So far, my favorite part of the Gamma Chi program has been getting to know so many new, wonderful people involved in Greek Life. It’s great to connect faces to names regarding our chapter executive boards, and I’ve loved the conversations I’ve had with our 45 Gamma Chis.

Q: Did you have any challenges when you first accepted the role?
A: This position has definitely helped me realize the importance of time management and prioritization. I have three standing meetings each week for Panhellenic Council, on top of email communications, other organizations, academics and research at the Medical Center. But it’s worth every minute!

Q: Do you think having this position will help you after graduation? If so, how?
A: As Director of Gamma Chis, I have strengthened my leadership background by acting in a supervisory role to 45 women. It’s also a great chance to practice my communication skills, networking and public speaking, as well as organizing and delegating. 

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?
A: In five years, I hope to be matriculated in medical school!

Q: If you had another year at Vanderbilt, what would you do?
A: There are so many courses I wish I had time to explore, like Latin and Art History, and so many student performances I wish I had time to attend. I’d also want to get a better handle on all that Nashville has to offer, beyond the Vanderbilt campus. 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.