Meet Sarah Greenberg from the MHS Student Advisory Board!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Read on to find out more about Sarah Greenberg, a talented member of Vanderbilt’s class of 2014 and a member of the Medicine, Healthy, and Society (MHS) Student Advisory Board! 

To clarify for the First-year students, what is Medicine, Health, and Society?
Medicine, Health and Society, also known as MHS, is a multidisciplinary field that concentrates on the social and societal aspects of health and illness. The major uses a combination of social sciences and humanities in order to better understand healthcare on a whole from all different aspects. Students can take classes in a variety of departments like economics, anthropology, history, psychology, neuroscience, and so on! It is great for anyone interested in all the different aspects of health, not just pre-med students!

What got you interested in Medicine, Health, and Society?
Since coming to Vandy, I have had to take a lot of hard sciences: bio, chem, and all those other “fun” classes. Last year I decided to take an MHS class just for fun and ended up really enjoying it. It was a great change of pace from the hard science lectures. The classes had great discussions and really touched upon relevant issues. I am also a neuroscience major and the MHS classes really complement what I learn from the neuro classes. It is really interesting to see how everything connects.

What has been your favorite class so far?
It’s hard to say! They are all so different! I have taken MHS classes, history classes, neuroscience classes that all count towards the major. But if I have to choose, I think it would be MHS 250: autism in context. The class was interesting and I really learned a lot; it even encouraged me to start research in an autism lab!

What do you do as a member of the Student Advisory Board?
As a member of the Student Advisory Board (SAB), I meet with the other board members and MHS faculty to plan upcoming events, arrange extra-curricular opportunities on campus, and even discuss the curriculum. Members of the SAB also serve as student-resources for prospective or current MHS majors/minors. (Check out the MHS website http://www.vanderbilt.edu/mhs/undergraduate/sab/ if you have any questions!)

What made you want to join the Board?
Last year when I declared MHS as my second major, I knew I wanted to get more involved. I wanted the opportunity to work closely with professors and other students and be a part of making the department even better. The SAB was a great way to make my mark.

What are your post-graduate plans?
My plan is to go to medical school. But I plan to take a gap year directly after college in order to do research as well as travel.

Where do you see yourself in five years?
Hopefully in medical school!

What is your advice for first-year students who want to get involved in MHS, or any leadership position for their major?
Do it! The MHS department is amazing and we get to do a lot of fun things as a group. But in general, getting involved and having a leadership position is great experience for life after college. Learning how to work with people, plan events, and deal with things when they don’t always turn out perfectly is really important. Sometimes it is hard to put yourself out there, but honestly taking on a leadership role is really rewarding. Get involved in something that you care about, not just something for your resume!

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!