The Latest Trend: Online Consignment Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Macklemore was not the first person to make thrift shopping cool, as many fashionistas have been scouring thrift shops and consignment stores long before the song was even popular. Shopping in consignment stores used to be for people who couldn’t afford to buy new designer clothing but still wanted a taste of the luxury. Now, shopping in consignment and thrift stores is trendier than ever, and some of the most creative and successful bloggers frequently search through the racks at their local consignment stores in order to find unique items.

Even though I am not opposed to the idea of shopping at these types of stores, I often find it overwhelming due to the sheer number of items, and as a result, I often leave empty-handed. If you are like me, then you probably thought that your consignment shopping days were over. But I have recently discovered two amazing, easy-to-navigate websites that cater specifically to online consignment shopping and are sure to get you excited again.

Bib + Tuck

Bib + Tuck is similar to eBay but prettier to look at and easier to navigate. A special currency is used throughout the site, so no member has to spend any of her own money, which is pretty amazing. You choose clothes and accessories from your own closet that you no longer want, set a price, and then trade with someone else. This website has a plethora of designer brands such as Helmut Lang and Phillip Lim and also more contemporary brands like Topshop and Zara. The best aspect about this website is that you can revamp your closet without having to spend any more of your hard-earned cash.

Shop-Hers

Shop-Hers puts a unique spin on the idea behind consignment shopping. An interested user signs up and takes a comprehensive questionnaire that helps identify one’s true size and style. Based on these results, the website matches you with a “style soul-mate” who shares your exact measurements and likes the same brands and styles as you. You can then shop your soulmate’s closet with the knowledge that everything is going to fit perfectly. This website caters primarily to more expensive designers such as Givenchy and Marc Jacobs, so when you are trying to buy or sell an item of value, definitely check this site out before heading to eBay or your local consignment store. 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.