The It Girl: Tiffany Tassin, Panhellenic President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Q: What does your position as Panhellenic President entail?

A: As Panhellenic President, I oversee our executive board to make sure everything is running smoothly. I coordinate our executive board meetings and our delegates meetings, which include a representative from each chapter represented in our council. I also attend meetings with the Panhellenic Presidents to ensure that any concerns and issues in our community are addressed. I also attend meetings with all of the presidents from each council, which are lead by the IFC President, the NPHC President, and me. Other than that, I spend a lot of time in the Greek Life Office communicating with our advisors, and I also answer lots of emails.

Q: What do you love most about this position?

A: I really love the opportunities I’ve had to interact with different people and make differences in our community. Being a part of this executive board has given me the chance to work directly with other chapter members whom I would not have had a chance to otherwise. It’s a really cool thing to come together as a board and make decisions that can positively affect our community.

Q: What is the strangest thing you’ve had to do as a part of Panhellenic?

A: Playing ‘Bunny Bunny’ at Greek Leaders’ Retreat—I had never played the game before, but now I really like it!

Q: What is your favorite memory while being a part of Vanderbilt Greek Life?

A: I think one of my favorite memories was bid day my freshman year. Everyone was so excited, and I remember being very nervous to see how bid day would go. However, my sisters immediately made me feel loved and welcome, and I knew after bid day that I had found my home with those women.

Q: What would you say to an incoming freshman about Vanderbilt Greek Life?

A: I would tell freshmen that if they’re at all interested in going through the process to try it out. Recruitment is not a scary experience, and going through the process can help you determine if Greek Life is for you. Specific to our council, I would tell women to trust the system. It really does work out for the best, and you will end up in a house where you belong with the sisterhood you’re looking for.

Q: What made you decide to run for Panhellenic President?

A: After serving on the Panhellenic Executive Board last year, I realized this was something I wanted to continue to be a part of. Although being President comes with lots of responsibility, I felt that I was ready to tackle this challenging position and take charge of an organization that I am incredibly passionate about.

Q: What is it like working “behind-the-scenes” during recruitment?

A: Being behind-the-scenes was actually a lot of fun! The days are long, but it’s so cool to see how things work from this side. We do a lot of communicating with chapters to make sure their rounds go smoothly, and we communicate with the potential new members to answer any of their questions. I have a lot of appreciation for the Greek Life staff—they put in very long hours in order for Panhellenic to have a successful recruitment, and without their help and support, our recruitment process would definitely not be as cohesive and smooth.

Q: What are you most excited about for next year’s recruitment?

A: I am really excited to add another sorority to our community! Zeta Tau Alpha will participate in formal recruitment with the rest of our Panhellenic community, and I’m really thrilled for both their Vanderbilt chapter to have this experience and for our overall community to help a new chapter succeed. It will be great to see their members go through their first formal recruitment experience.

Q: What are your plans for after graduation?

A: I honestly haven’t decided yet! I’m definitely thinking either graduate school or hopefully finding a job teaching. I’d love to stay in the South somewhere, but I’m not too picky—I’m up for an adventure somewhere new if that’s where life takes me!

Q: How will this experience help you in your future?

A: Serving on Panhellenic has given me an incredible leadership opportunity as well as the opportunity to work with many different types of people, and I hope that this will translate to any skills I will need for a future occupation.

Thank you so much for your time and insight Tiffany! We look forward to next year’s recruitment season!

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!