How to Take Advantage of Your Time in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

You’ve heard it before: college is the time of your life, but it finishes in the blink of an eye. You only have four years to create a great college experience, so make it a good one! Don’t graduate with regrets- instead, use some of these tips now to create amazing memories and memorable stories!

1.   Explore the surrounding town! Go to the main travel center where you can typically find a few pamphlets or a list of “must-do’s.” Keep this list and try to experience all of the events/places by the time you graduate. This guarantees that you’ll be able to talk about the exciting (or not so exciting) things to do off campus!

2.   Go to the random speakers that visit. If you go to a school that is lucky enough to offer guest speakers, then GO! Even if it is a person you’ve never heard of or a topic you don’t think you care about, this is the best way to try something new. It could inspire a passion or give you a new role model. You won’t get many of these opportunities in the real world, so do it now!

3.   Take a random class. Yes, you’ve planned out your schedule to make sure you finish all your graduation requirements. However, when else will you get a chance to learn about the biology of the brain or how to write a critique? It may not work with your major, but explore and try something new. It may even inspire you to change your future.

4.   Join a club. As an adult, it only gets more difficult to join a new hobby or club. While in college, join something new, even if you’ve never done it before. Try a juggling club or writing for the school newspaper. By joining an organization, you meet new people and get to try new things, which can definitely become a great story for after graduation.

Use this advice in order to appreciate the years spent in college, instead of regretting them. This is the time to discover who you want to be, so go out and explore!

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!