How To Stay Close to Your Family While At College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Staying close to your family when you move out is a challenge all collegiettes go through. It can be difficult not seeing your siblings every day or talking to your mom while she cooks dinner. Here are some tips to make you feel like you’re still a part of the family:

1.     Talk! Call your family while you walk between classes. Even though it may only be 10 minutes, it lets them know you are thinking of them. Send texts throughout the day or link funny sites to their Facebook pages. It’ll keep the conversation flowing even when they don’t understand the stress of your classes.

2.     Skype. This is crucial. I never knew what a difference it made to actually see my mom’s face while talking to her. Trust me, buying a webcam is completely worth it. I love to be able to show my sister my room or watch my brother goof off behind the camera. It puts me right back in my living room at home.

3.     Ask for packages. Yes, be a needy college kid and beg for some packages. Each one feels like a present and puts a smile on my face. Convince your family that these help with the distance and even think about making them one, too!

4.     Share a Calendar. While this may be a little extreme, I know this helps a lot of my friends. There is an easy way to create a Google Documents Calendar and send it to multiple people for them to edit or view. This way you can keep track of your sister’s choir concerts and send your brother an encouraging text when he has a sports tournament coming up.

The distance is always hard, but it becomes more manageable with time. Use these tips to help ease the transition and feel less isolated from home!

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!