How to Say Goodbye, But Not For Good!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Congratulations! You made it through another year of school. For many of you, this year might have been your last. Graduation is an exciting and scary time, but there are ways to make it through without having a total breakdown. It’s tough to say goodbye to the college lifestyle and your closest friends, but it can be easier with a few of these tips. 

1) Get contact information. Facebook is a wonderful way to stay in touch, but before you all go your separate ways, try to get your friends’ phone numbers and addresses as well. It’s always nice to call up a friend for a quick chat, and you should never underestimate the joy a surprise birthday card can bring to someone. Plus, just having this information on hand will make you feel more confident that you can keep up your friendships!

2) Get a list of important dates. Keep a calendar of your friends’ birthdays. They will love the effort you put in to send them a card on time, especially if you haven’t seen each other since graduation.

3) Plan a get-together. Make a pact with your friends that, no matter what, everyone will return to Nashville for the first Homecoming following graduation. By having a set plan, you’ll feel more relaxed knowing that you’ll see your close friends again soon. Plus, your goodbyes won’t be nearly as sad! 

4) Pinky Promise. Yup, you should pinky promise each other to stay friends. It’s fun and cheesy, and and it can make the sad situation seem more lighthearted. Promise to keep in touch and tell each other the important things in life. The pinky promise will also bring back childhood nostalgia and show your sincerity about keeping the friendship.  

5) Keep this motto. Finally, just remember that everything happens for a reason. True friends will stay friends forever. If another friend starts to drift away, just enjoy the relationship you had. Don’t try to push too hard. Life goes on and you will have tons of new experiences and friendships. Enjoy everything as it happens and remember the positive things! 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.