How to Prepare for Your Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

If you scored a summer internship, you may now be wondering how to get ready. There are a few things you need to do this summer to ensure that you use the internship to its full potential. Use these tips to have fun and perform with results at your new job this summer!

1) Make some money. If you’re working for an unpaid internship, don’t get discouraged! An unpaid internship still provides amazing experience and is a huge resume booster! Check out some jobs that are close by that are looking for some assistance during the summer. Working half the week as a waitress will earn you more money than working solely for the internship. Just make sure you don’t spread yourself too thin and that you’re still able to perform your job up to par.

2) Impress your employer. Say yes to everything. You want to seem eager, but without being a suck-up. Show your employer that you are dedicated to your job and that you love your work (we realize this may be hard, especially when the pool is calling your name). Just remember, it’s only for the summer and you want to make the best impression you possibly can. Stay positive and bring positivity to the workplace; your employer will love you for it!

3) Update your resume. Did you work on any special projects or learn new skills through this internship? If so, add that to your resume! By updating your resume right away, you’re less likely to forget those valuable lessons and gained skills when you apply for future jobs.

4) Ask for a letter of recommendation! This is so important! At the end of the summer, find the time to sit down with your boss and ask for a letter of recommendation (but seriously, wait until the end- it would be awkward to ask for a letter of rec before you’ve even done any projects). By requesting a rec over the summer, your boss will have plenty of time to write a great one for you. Plus, it’s so much easier to ask in person right away instead of waiting a few months when it’s crunch time for a job search and you’ll have to resort to sending an impersonal email to a boss you haven’t seen in months. Your boss will likely appreciate the effort you put in to ask early as opposed to waiting until after you’ve left the position and returned to school.

5) Don’t get discouraged. If you find that your job is more difficult or stressful than you expected, don’t give up! Just keep remembering the positive thoughts, no
matter how challenging your position may seem. Even if the job is unpaid, you’re still gaining great experience! If you are getting paid: you are making money. End
of story. By focusing on the positives, the job will be much more bearable. Plus, it’s only one summer! These summer jobs are opportunities to find out what you really want to do with your life!
Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.