Healthy Chicken Curry!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

I know that eating well in college can be a struggle, but it is just as important as working out. What you put into your body really does make a difference! My favorite tip for eating and living a healthy lifestyle is to learn how to cook at least one healthy meal. I know that most college students don’t have the time to go to a grocery store, but if you can try to set aside a little bit of time during the week to cook, your body, skin, and mind will truly thank you. Plus, cooking is a fun activity that you can do with your friends, and it may even relieve a little bit of your stress.

My first piece of advice is to find a recipe that is easy to make and delicious. I am a huge fan of all different types of Asian inspired food, and Indian curry is definitely one of my favorites. Below is a chicken curry recipe that I recently learned how to make. Although it may look challenging, the hardest part about making this was finding the ingredients. It took me half an hour from start to finish, and the end result was delicious. Plus I made extra, so I had enough food for three different portions. 

Below are the ingredients and preparation instructions in order to make this dish.

Ingredients (2 servings)

•    2 chicken breasts (organic if possible)

•    1 tsp. coconut oil

•    1 garlic clove, thinly sliced

•    3 thin slices of ginger

•    1 (12oz) can of coconut milk

•    2 tsp. turmeric

•    1/4 tsp. salt

•    2 to 3 heads baby bok choy, halved lengthwise

•    4 scallions, halved lengthwise

•    Red pepper flakes to taste

•    Fresh basil leaves

•    Quinoa

Preparation

1. Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

2. Add garlic and ginger slices, sauté for 30 seconds. Add coconut milk, turmeric and salt, whisk until combined.

3. Bring to a gentle boil, add bok choy and scallions, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.

4. Add red pepper flakes to taste, garnish with fresh basil. Set aside.

5. On a hot pan or grill, cook the chicken breasts for around 5 minutes on each side, or until they are cooked thoroughly.

6. Season the grilled chicken, then slice and lay it gently on top of the bok choy. Serve with a side of quinoa.

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.