A Freshman Perspective: Why I Chose Vanderbilt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

During my junior year of high school, people began to ask me the hardest question I had ever heard, to that point: “Where do you want to go to college?” Some of my friends didn’t know the answer up until graduation, while others knew right away. For me, it wasn’t that easy. I visited almost ten schools before finally making the big decision, but in the end, I definitely made the right choice.

Vanderbilt was the first school I visited, and I immediately fell in love with it. I loved everything from the Commons, to the people, to Nashville in general. Despite feeling that Vanderbilt was the place I wanted to be for the next four years, I did not want to make a decision after visiting just one school. My plan was to visit as many schools as I could to be sure that Vanderbilt was the right place for me.

Not one of the colleges I later considered, however, impacted me like Vanderbilt did- not one. I visited schools to the point of frustration, and sometimes I just wanted to quit. All my visits were to top notch institutions- Columbia, Wake Forest, etc.  Still, no matter how many schools I visited, I never got the feeling I experienced while at Vanderbilt. That’s because at Vanderbilt, I got the “feeling”, the feeling that everyone talks about when the subject of choosing a college comes up. I felt as if I was home.

Every school I saw had a beautiful campus, wonderful academic programs, and friendly people. But those schools just were not for me. In the end, choosing a college or university all came down to where I believed I could be happy. I had to decide what school was going to help me achieve my goals and help me grow.  Vanderbilt and everything about it makes me feel confident that I made the right decision.

Jessica Pawlarczyk is a junior at Vanderbilt University where she is majoring in Sociology and Spanish. Besides Her Campus, Jessica is involved in newspaper, APO service fraternity, math tutoring and youth mentoring. She enjoys playing tennis, reading Jodi Picoult novels and finding new "pins" for her Pinterest page in her spare time. Jessica is incredibly excited to be a part of the Her Campus team!