This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

A trip to the hair salon is usually an excellent experience. You come out looking and feeling like a million bucks, and what girl doesn’t want that? There are exceptions to this rule when you end up coming out looking very different than what you asked for, but in general, most people enjoy going to the hair salon. But when you are sitting in the chair being pampered, what do you do? Are you the type of girl who reads a magazine, or are you proactive by asking as many questions as you can about hair and how you can make your own better? Well, I am definitely the latter, and during my most recent trip to the salon, I received some great, expert hair advice. 

The first interesting thing I learned has to do with brushing your hair right before you wash it. When the oil starts to build up on your scalp, you should brush your hair from root to ends, which transfers the oil to your ends. If you do this an hour before you wash your hair, your ends will absorb some of that oil, which can make your hair healthier. You’ll also save money, as you won’t need to use as much conditioner in the shower! 

The next tip she gave me was to take Biotin. Biotin is a water-soluble B vitamin that can be used to strengthen your hair and nails. Not only will it make your hair stronger, but it will also help your hair grow faster and longer, so for those of you who are trying to grow longer locks, I highly recommend Biotin. Biotin is usually the main ingredient in any hair strengthening or repairing serum, so if you end up buying the vitamins, they’ll cost you a lot less then a $50 hair serum. 

Going to the hair salon can be a great experience, and if you have an enthusiastic stylist who seems to know what she is doing, ask her a couple of questions. You might be surprised by what you learn!  

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.