Best Restaurants for a Girls’ Night Out!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Here at Vandy, us girls have to stick together. College is crazy, and any given night has the potential for some sort of insane, completely unexpected drama. However, this drama is best combatted by a steady group of your closest girlfriends, those girls who will always have your back no matter what. We’ve been in school now for almost a month, and I think it’s about time to celebrate your favorite girls with a special girls’ night out, or GNO.

Whether y’all want to hit the town or just see a movie, a GNO should always be started at a great restaurant. You and your girls can bond over the food, Instagram pics of your classy drinks, and ask your cute waiter to take a picture of the whole crew- because we all know that the only way to make your girls’ night official is through a mupload. Read on for some of the best restaurants in Nashville for your girls’ night out!

Bricktops

This classy establishment is the perfect spot for Sunday brunch or Friday/Saturday night dinner. The atmosphere is upscale without seeming too stuffy, so you don’t have to worry about making too much noise. And the food is actually amazing… everything from the guacamole to the chicken fingers to the sushi is out of this world. This would probably be the perfect place for a more chill girls’ night, one that doesn’t include fratting- the food is too good, and it’s one of those places you wouldn’t want to ruin with thoughts of awkward pregames or costume attire. Plus, if you go to Bricktops, you absolutely must try either the key lime pie or the cookie skillet… and neither is conducive to looking hot in a tight skirt.

Urban Flats

This is one of the best places for a girls’ night out that includes hitting frat row or going downtown. It has a classy feel, so you can get a little dressed up without feeling like an idiot. It’s never too impeccably crowded, mostly because it’s over in the Gulch, and most Vandy girls stick to Cabana and Chili’s when picking their dinner/pregame locations. Plus, the food and the cocktails are super unique! They have a whole list of flatbreads with really interesting flavor combinations- feel free to order a few for the table because they’re pretty light and you absolutely need to try more than one! They also have some delicious cocktails that only add to the flavors going on in your meal. So take a cab over to Urban Flats if you’re looking for a girls’ night out with a built-in pregame!

Sambuca

Also over in the Gulch lies Sambuca, a fun restaurant with a cool vibe and great live music. Every time you go, you can bet an amazing new band will be playing. One of the times I went, the band was so good that it was able to do a cover of a song they didn’t know all the lyrics to, just because someone in the audience requested it! It gets pretty loud in there, so don’t expect to be having deep conversations over dinner. But they do sometimes clear the floor for dancing, so you have the potential to burn off the calories you consumed from dinner! Their food is great, as long as you order the right stuff. I’m a big fan of their appetizers, so I would just order some cocktails and a lot of starters for the table to share. You need to get there later (around 8) to hear the band, so make Sambuca the main event of your GNO if you want a fun night of dancing and live music!

Merchant’s

If you’re looking for a location that is already downtown but doesn’t smell like beer or serve food that you could get at McDonald’s, look no further than Merchant’s. It’s right on Broadway and completely in the thick of things, so if you catch a cab there later at night, you could go right from dinner to a bar. This is also a primetime picture-taking location- the outside of the building is super cool and the inside has been renovated impeccably. There’s a fancier upstairs for people on special dates (I’m assuming), but the lower level will be just perfect for your girls’ night out. The best part about Merchant’s really is their food- everything on the menu has a Southern flair but is served in a way that doesn’t make you gain five pounds just from looking at it. Of course, one should not plan on going to Merchant’s for a diet-friendly meal, especially when you’re faced with amazing appetizers, top-notch entrees, absolutely delicious cocktails, and the best desserts ever. So get your girls together for a dinner at Merchant’s and Instagram as many pics of your meal as possible- trust me, people will be impressed. Then hit the town and dance the night away!  

I hope that at least one of these restaurants fits your girls’ night needs! If not, just remember one thing, if nothing else- there is more to Nashville than Cabana. So go out and explore! 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.