The Benefits of Spaghetti Squash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

As I am a senior and do not have a meal plan, I cook for myself almost every single night. Fortunately, I like to cook, but there are definitely times when I do not feel inspired. I love to experiment and try new recipes, and one of my recent culinary discoveries has been spaghetti squash. Although spaghetti squash is relatively flavorless, that is really what makes it so versatile. You can use it in recipes or even as a substitute for regular wheat pasta when making any typical Italian pasta dish. Alternatively, you can be very simple and eat it plain with pepper and salt and then drizzle it with olive oil. Not only is it a versatile vegetable that can be used for multiple dishes, but it is also extremely easy to make. It only takes 45 minutes to cook and requires a minimal amount of preparation. This entails microwaving it for 8-10 minutes, cutting it in half, and then baking it in the oven for the remaining time period. After that, you can eat it plain or add it to any dish.

Not only does spaghetti squash serve as a tasty meal, but it is also a very healthy food to eat. It only contains 42 calories per cup, and it is extremely high in fiber, which helps your body regulate its blood sugar and aid with digestion. It is also packed with Vitamin A, B, C, and E, and it is loaded with various essential minerals. If you are looking for something delicious that isn’t going to pack on those extra pounds right before Spring Break, then try cooking yourself some spaghetti squash. 

Click here for a paleo recipe for Buffalo Chicken Pasta using spaghetti squash, and here for a vegan recipe for Creamy Avocado Spaghetti Squash Pasta! The latter recipe is pictured below. 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.