5 Tips for Throwing a Killer Super Bowl Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

This weekend is the Super Bowl. If you didn’t know that before, now you do, and be thankful. Because it’s time to start planning a killer Super Bowl party that will make your crushes fall in love with you and your girl friends insanely jealous of your epic coolness. 

Yup, it’s all possible. It’s your future, in fact, if you can just make Sunday absolutely amazing, and then document the experience in a series of photos casually posted to Facebook that night. Guys have to do something after watching the big game right? 

So here you go, five tips for throwing the best Super Bowl party ever- read, implement, and enjoy. 

1) Food.

This is a crucial step. Do not underestimate the importance of food at a Super Bowl party, or any party that involves football for that matter. The tried and true appetizers often involve a lot of grease and fat, so be forewarned. Now is not the time to try and be that skinny girl who doesn’t like buffalo wings. Or queso. Come on, you just don’t like what those foods do to your waistline. We all need a cheat day, so let Sunday be it and whip up some delectable goodies that will please all of your party attendees. Need inspiration? Check Pinterest. You’ll find soooooooooo(ooooo) many appetizer recipes, it’s actually ridiculous. And if you don’t feel like cooking, hit up Munchie for chips and salsa then order Corner Pub from Doorstep Delivery- easy, right? 

2) Attire. 

Girls, this is not the time for dresses, skirts, fancy blouses, or florals. It’s an informal get to-gether where you must look casual and approachable yet fun and sexy all at the same time. Your best bet, if you don’t own a Ravens/49ers jersey, is to rock jeans, boots, and a simple tee. An athletic t-shirt is always preferable but try to avoid wearing apparel that supports a different team- it’ll just make you look like you don’t know who’s playing. On that note…. 

3) Know who’s playing. 

This year’s Super Bowl features the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers. The teams are coached by the Harbaugh brothers, John and Jim respectively, so it’s a big family showdown. Also, know that last year, the New York Giants faced the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl and won. This year, the Giants had a pretty sucky year and didn’t even make it to the playoffs. The Patriots almost made it into the Super Bowl but lost in a big game against the Ravens. I cannot say this enough- do not be the girl who doesn’t know what’s going on. If you’re not into football, to each their own, but do NOT ask a guy what’s going on after every play or talk about how much you hate football. Guys find this exceptionally annoying. 

4) Take pictures, but not too many. 

Don’t be snapping away all game long, but definitely try to take a few casual pics that show what a great time you’re having. This will make guys think you’re fun and cute without being in their faces about it. For this reason, dress casually but still put on some makeup. Guys don’t have to know you’re wearing any if you apply it the right way- concealer, blush/bronzer, mascara and a little lipgloss are all you need. Curling your hair or styling it in any way that looks casual is also a good idea. Think Blake Lively off the Red Carpet or Minka Kelly in Friday Night Lights. 

5) Have fun! 

So it’s been a lot of “shoulds” and “don’ts” and “have tos”… but remember that this is a party! The only thing you’re really supposed to do is have fun! Put a smile on and choose to laugh when you slip up on football lingo or mispronounce a crucial player’s name. Guys love a girl who can laugh at herself, and girls are insanely jealous of other girls who appear confident even when they’re not. So feel sexy and have an absolutely killer time at your party- you deserve it! 

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.