Your Home Away From Home: 5 Ways to Spice up Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Whether you’re moving in for the first time or looking for something new in your current dorm, sharing space can sometimes be a challenge. Students are usually given little to no space, especially here at VSU! Dorms are all about functionality, but design doesn’t have to come later. Here are a few ways to make your dorm comfortable, cute, functional and, more importantly, your own style!

1.     Christmas Lights: Hanging lights in your dorm not only adds light to a space but adds a decorative touch to any color scheme.

2.     A Canopy: A bed canopy can work with either the top or bottom bunk in a dorm room. As simple as placing a hook in the ceiling, a sheer curtain or store-bought canopy top can be hung and draped at the top of the bed. Even for the bottom of an adjustable bed, a canopy can be used to hide the underside of your bed. Matched with your room’s color scheme, a canopy adds a girly touch to any room!

3.     Wall Art: Today, the use of wall stickers or wall art is becoming more and more popular. There are so many choices, from quotes to pictures and frames. The stickers are so easy to apply and last for as long as you want them to stay! Just place where you want them on your wall, smooth out any bubbles or wrinkles, wait and peel! They look just as if someone painted on your wall. They add the perfect last touch to any room or dorm!

4.     A Rug: Believe it or not, a rug makes a big difference in a space! Depending on the placement and size, a rug adds a home feeling to a small dorm. It combines the shared space with your roommate using any color scheme.

5.     Personalize: Nonetheless, make it you and your style! Add some family pictures, put up those Michael B. Jordan posters, go all pink or just be an organization freak — do whatever works for you! It’s your room for the next year, so you have to like it. Have fun with it, and watch what future design skills you’ll carry on to an apartment or house! 

An interior design major at VSU, & a creative genius.
President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Valdosta State, and a Mass Media major. Loves spaghetti and is currently waiting for someone to teach her how to play her guitar. Never meets a stranger. Hi :)