Women In Black History: Mary Eliza Mahoney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

In honor of Black History I would like to educate collegiettes on the important milestones that women of color have created and the challenges they have overcome for women like us today.

Ms. Mary Eliza Mahoney is the first African American Nurse to graduate from an accredited nursing program in the United States in 1879. She was born in Massachusetts in 1845, her exact month and day of birth is unclear. As early as eighteen years old, Mary knew she wanted to become a nurse. To start off her journey into the medical field young Mary spent most of her days as a maid, washerwoman and cook at the New England Hospital for women and children.

After several years, at the age of 33 Mary was finally accepted into the New England Hospital’s nursing program. Mahoney was one of the 42 students chosen to begin this difficult and strenuous program. Much like the nursing programs of today the hours were long and the work was hard. The program consisted of twelve months of medical, surgical, and maternal nursing training. This included night duty along with four months of private duty nursing in homes and other places within the community. The hours were typically between 6 am to 9 pm.

But Mahoney did not let the intense work load stop her from accomplishing her dream. Mary was one of the four women to graduate that August of 1879. Once licensed Mahoney took jobs as a private duty nurse in her community.

Though in those times nurse’s job description included both medical and household chores Mahoney refused to be treated as the household help. Mary was well respected by her patients and was known for her competency and skill as a nurse. Due to her outstanding reputation as a nurse, she was given opportunities to branch out to places as far as North Carolina.

Knowing and recognizing the struggles of African Americans and the nursing field Mahoney helped co-found the National Association of Colored Graduate Nurses (NACGN). As their chaplain she participated in conventions by speaking and spreading the awareness across the states.

In 1923, Mahoney was diagnosed with breast cancer and passed away several years after in 1926. Even after her death she is still being honored for her contribution to NACGN and nursing in general. Her grave site in Massachusetts has become a memorial for those she has touched to pay respect.

Mary was and still is a monument for all aspiring minority nurses and women as a whole. She had a plan and executed it through the obstacles. Her journey exemplifies patience and strength.

Her Campus at Valdosta State.