This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hair without chemical straighteners, including relaxers and texturizers is Google’s definition of natural hair. Whether you have natural hair growing from your roots or you don’t, surely you’ve seen the beauty it can produce. More and more women are making the decision to simply wear their hair as it grows, which is an admirable thing to do since we’re all aware of how uncooperative hair can be. Of course, it still requires products and love and care. However, because of some hair’s tendency to defy gravity, an actual style (i.e., bantu knots, twist-out, silk press) isn’t essential; a simple puff will do more than suffice! In fact, it’s a lot of girls’ go-to style. Tayjha Deleveux’s hair is no different, only for some reason, her principal at her Bahamian high school saw it fit to suspend her for her hair’s appearance. That’s right, this particular high school student’s education was rudely interrupted by her principal’s opinion of how “unkept” it looked. She claimed it violated the school’s rules because “It looked like it hadn’t been brushed for days.” Some people are advocates for the afro look and others just don’t seem to like it, but since when does a hair style interfere with your ability to learn?

This story picked up a good bit of momentum on social media after the story was publicized on her mother’s Facebook account. The hashtage #SupportThePuff is even trending on Twitter because of it. Knowing that this young girl has that much support should make her principal question her own views. At such a sensitive age when the self-esteem is so impressionable, it’s crucial for young ladies to know that the skin they’re in (and the hair they’re growing) is its own version of perfection. There are natural hair critics everywhere and when you where your hair in such a fashion, you run the risk of getting funny looks and silly questions. People are welcome to have their varying points of view, but to take it to the point of suspending a student…

Above is a picture of Tayjha sporting the style that got her suspended. Personally, her natural hair looks pretty darn healthy and no where near “unruly” to me. The issue doesn’t stop with the principal’s comments about her hair. In an interview with the news, Principal McKay went as far as commenting on the fact that she tries to prepare the students in her school for the workforce, implying that such a ‘do’ would be unacceptable in that environment. A lot of employers are adapting to the natural hair movement. And who’s to say that Tayjha will still where an afro puff when she starts her career? Either way, the fact that her principal is attempting to get her to conform, really isn’t solving any problems–not that there was one to begin with. Instead of nurturing the actual skills she will need in a professional place, she’s focused on the girl’s appearance! It’s extremely unsettling to think that a child, seeking a diploma, is being oppressed by an authority figure whose job is to do the opposite! Although this story’s roots are in The Bahamas, the importance is a worldwide thing. It doesn’t matter if you rock the puff or a slicked down ponytail, make it your mission to show support to girls like Tayjha so that we can adjust the sails of our society. 

HCXO

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.