tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Why Effective Communication is Key

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Sometimes when you’re aggravated you make decisions you aren’t so proud of.

Today I yelled at a close friend of mine, whatever the reason, yelling at my very sensitive friend was not the best way to handle the situation. I was upset because the environment was already uncomfortable and she was complaining –which didn’t help the situation at all. Once she was crying and I was angry I walked away to calm down and contemplate because isn’t that what everyone does after they’ve had a negative interaction? The first thing that crossed my mind was that my aggressive outburst, while not vulgar, was still hurtful; even if I thought it to be true. This is the same thing I tell my family all the time. Intent and delivery do not always correlate, and I’ve served as a living example of that fact by lashing out at my friend. You have to actively think about the best way to calmly and rationally articulate your emotions, without hurting anyone’s feelings.

No matter how tired I may have been about hearing her complain about the same thing, that doesn’t give me the right to be mean. To counteract this behavior in the future, I need to think more carefully about how to correctly explain how I’m feeling, and keep a calm tone of voice while communicating effectively to whomever I may be addressing at the moment; However, this does not leave my friend free of blame. People need to be actively aware of what they say and do and how it that may affect the people and environment around them. My friend has been complaining about the same thing for almost two weeks straight every day, and that gets old very quickly. When you break down in tears over very simple things, people assume that you’re crazy; but when you’re crying every day over very small things it may be time to seek professional help. We both talked it out and apologized afterward for the explosive display of emotions, but we did come to the conclusion that she may need a more healthy way of dealing with her emotions. So in conclusion, take care of your health in all forms, physical, mental, and emotional.

Depression is a very serious matter, and if you see someone close to you is struggling, talk to them; Or give the correct tools to seek help.

1-800-799-7233

(212) 673-3000

– HCXO!

Mass Media major, looking to do big things in the future! Remember my name, it'll be on the big screen one day. (In the credits, I'm not an actor)