This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Last week, the Trump administration decided to retract the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (or DACA) policy. This decision has lead to protest by thousands of DACA supporters. Now nearly 800,000 “Dreamers” (named for the DREAM Bill Act), may face deportation from the only home they’ve ever known. 

DACA, or the DREAM Bill Act, was created and signed by President Obama in 2012. The bill allows some young people who entered the U.S. illegally as minors to obtain a two-year deferment of deportation, and gives them eligibility for work permits. Under the bill, Dreamers may also obtain drivers licenses, social security numbers, and possibly become eligible to vote. 

In order to qualify for DACA, applicants must be between 15 and 31 years old, came to the U.S. before the age of 16, are currently in school (or received a GED) or were honorably discharged from the armed forces, and haven’t been convicted of a felony or more than three misdemeanors. 

One reason DACA is so important is because it provides options for young people, usually in their 20’s, who entered the United States before they were old enough to choose.  Most Dreamers entered came to the United States before the age of 10. 

Many Americans believe that granting immigrants the benefits of citizenship steals jobs form native-born American workers. However, in the five years that DACA has been in place, the policy hasn’t caused any negative impacts on the U.S. job market. Thanks to DACA, there has been a reduction in the number of immigrant households living in poverty. DACA has also increased the wages and labor force participation of immigrant workers. Less immigrants are dealing with severe mental health issues thanks to DACA and the opportunities it provides. 

Dreamers are students, teachers, nurses, firefighters, and neighbors. Limiting opportunities for a group of people based on their ethnicity is a serious violation of civil rights. Why deny Dreamers their shot at the ‘American Dream’?

-HCXO

Preyah James

Valdosta '18

Preyah is a senior studying briology and journalism at Valdosta State University. Originally from Riverdale, GA, Preyah is president and Campus Correspondant for VSU's chapter of Her Campus. When she's not studying for a genetics test, Preyah loves to cook, read and watch Game of Thrones. Post-graduation, she plans to pursue a career in science writing and journalism, hoping to work for National Geographic. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.