photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

What to Expect This Thanksgiving from the Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

It’s getting close to the holiday season we know and love. While this time can be full of holiday cheer and love, this time can also be dreadful for us college students. It seems as if every family in America has agreed to make it their mission to bombard their college student relatives with unnecessary questions or statements, and every year it gets worse and worse. It is my job today to tell you what to expect and provide a solution or response to every problem. 

1. How is school going? 

I’m  pretty sure you all knew this question was coming especially from the nosey relatives that seem to live their life through you, and it doesn’t make it easier to answer this question when school is just not working out in your favor. I’ve noticed that giving dry responses to questions like these helps the family friend or relative realize that school is not on your mind during this time of holiday cheer. 

2. When are you bringing a man home?

We don’t have to deep dive too much into this because I’m pretty sure this is a question that gets asked throughout the year. However, this question can come as a shock especially when it’s coming from the family member that has three divorces under their belt, but as my mom used to tell me, I will just stay in a child’s place. First things first, who’s to say that I even want to bring a MAN home, there’s always a nice young woman I might want to bring home. Secondly, whether or not you have a man doesn’t take away from the fact that you’re smart, kind and important. A quick way to work around this question is to just reply by saying, “When the time comes, I’ll have someone special”, and leave it at that. 

3. What do you plan on doing with your life?

Most of us don’t even know what we’re wearing tomorrow so how can you expect us to figure out a whole life plan when we barely have ourselves together? This question can be dreadful especially because you only have a split second to come up with a ridiculous answer that you probably won’t even stick too. A simple “We’ll see” can end the conversation that may come with question.

While I’m aware that these responses may not work for everybody, I’m just offering what has worked for me in the past, and if all else fails, just walk away and ignore the person or pretend you have something to tend to. I hope this helps prepare for you what’s to come this holiday season. To my fellow college students…WE GOT THIS!!!

HCXO!

Kylah Gilbert

Valdosta '20

My name is Kylah Gilbert. I am a 20 year old Juniorish at Valdosta State University. My writing is an insight to who I am as a person. So welcome to me as a person.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.