This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

People! People! People! We need to talk because obviously people are still sleep. Obviously, some people don’t realize who they are. Are we really going to classify the recent events at NBA YoungBoy’s concert on Friday as ghetto?

Let me breakdown the story for you. Recently, The Shaderoom posted a clip of a fight breaking out between NBA YoungBoy and I’m guessing one of his “fans” at his concert last night. No one knows what was said that could have cause the rapper to lay hands one of the many people who attended his concert last night, but what baffles me is that people saw this as ghetto. 

Now for all of us who are black, we know how is serious it is for someone to have the nerve to call us ghetto and mean it. The truth of the matter is, while I am not a fan of the rapper’s music, in my eyes he’s still a person. So it’s not fair for someone to call you ghetto, just because you feel the need to defend yourself when someone disrespects you. That’s not even the biggest problem within this whole situation, the bigger picture is that these were black people saying this! Now I’ve done my research on these people who are labeling him as ghetto, and for the most part, if one didn’t know any better, then you would think that they were down for the culture…WRONG!! These people have others fooled and they hide in The Shaderoom comments saying how they truly feel about their fellow members in the black community, and apparently they refer to any black person chooses to physically fight as ghetto.

Well of course, those who are truly woke within the black community came to NBA’s defense, by questioning how someone deserves to be called ghetto for simply feeling the need to defend themselves. Maybe he could’ve used his words or maybe the situation was a little more serious, and just required that hands be thrown. We weren’t there!! So how do we know the person didn’t say something seriously insulting about his unborn child, his girlfriend, or any of the rumors that may be swirling around about him? It just shocked me because I take it as if those who thought he was ghetto, just wanted him to stand there and take it. Sometimes we all can’t walk away from a fight, and that may be a personal issue, but sometimes we also have to teach others a lesson as well. 

I want to switch this around, and ask what if it had been a white person. Would these same people ,who were calling him ghetto, have come to his defense? Would they agree or disagree? Would they argue them down and tell them they can’t say that knowing they would say the same thing? This is bigger than just NBA getting in a fight or people calling him ghetto. At the end of the day, it just points out those who are still asleep on what’s the problem in the world. We can’t take steps towards solving the problem if we’re causing a problem among ourselves. We have to do better!

Kylah Gilbert

Valdosta '20

My name is Kylah Gilbert. I am a 20 year old Juniorish at Valdosta State University. My writing is an insight to who I am as a person. So welcome to me as a person.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.