VSU Alumni in Media: Amber Worthy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Amber Worthy graduated from VSU in December 2013 with a degree in Mass Media. She currently works as an Associate Producer for WJXT in Jacksonville, Florida, Amber previously worked as a Reporter for NBC 26 in Augusta and as a News Desk Trainee for WSBTV in Atlanta, Georgia. As an Associate Producer she writes for the morning show and keeps an eye out for alerts from the police, social media posts from viewers and breaking news. When asked what her favorite part of her job is, Amber said, “Meeting the people and telling the stories of amazing people. Fighting for the stories that matter to me.” 

Amber loves being employed in the field of her choice, “[It feels] amazing. It is competitive field. I worked hard to get here.” She warns that the initial job search is hard, but with determination you can get your foot in the door and get the job that you want. “You have to be aggressive. I made myself available to meet with news directors in different cities. I would email them and say ‘Hey I will be in your area and will be available on this day can you meet about this position? Can you spare some time?'”

Being a reporter consists of completing numerous duties on a daily basis. From finding a pitch worthy story, locking down the interview, shooting b-roll, writing the story, getting the script approved to editing. It is also important to remember to be camera ready, “It’s better to memorize points then let it flow as natural as possible.” The work doesn’t stop there, “After that I post my story to the web after converting my on air script to a web script. Then post it to all the social media outlets. I look for ways to use Periscope or other social media outlets throughout the process.”

The job of a reporter definitely has its ups and downs. There are times when hard news stories have to be reported, “I loved my job as a reporter. Sometimes I would get to the scene of car crashes, shootings, vigils, funerals, or just to interview the loved one of someones who was killed and it was tough. You have to have a why, meaning a why am I doing this. I love telling the stories of people who meant something to someone”. Although it can be tough at times, the end result is rewarding when you are doing what you love.

Amber felt pretty well prepared for her career in media, “Learning in the field of course is better than the experience that you get from a classroom.  I also learned a lot from putting myself out there while at Valdosta State. Contact the Sheriffs office and get them to add you to their email list for press conferences, shoot them, ask the reporters that are there is they have 5-10 minutes for you to pick their brain. Watch what they do, how they conduct themselves. Be a sponge anytime you see someone working in the field you’re in. If you are at the grocery store and you see a news truck walk over introduce yourself. If you don’t grind, you won’t learn and you won’t grow. Go after what you want head first!” She also advises current students to find internships and keep in contact with the people that they meet in the field. 

“Find someone else who will take you under there wing. It takes your effort though. Work hard and never give up.” She also offers to be a helping hand to those who aspire to be in the media industry. “I am here if anyone needs me. Find me on Facebook or Twitter and reach out. I will help where I can.”

HCXO!

Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk