Valentine’s Week: Campus Cutie Couple Kimmi & Keith

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Meet Kimmi and Keith! Kimmi and Keith are both recent graduates of Valdosta State University! Kimmi graduated in May 2014 and is currently a graduate student at VSU serving as the Resident Hall Director for Brown Residence Hall on campus. Keith graduated in December 2014 and is an aspiring medical student. Fortunately, Kimmi was able to take time out of her busy schedule to sit and give me the inside scoop on their relationship! Check it out!

HC: How did the two of you meet?

Kimmi: Keith and I met working together on Resident Assistant (RA) staff in Georgia Hall, January 2013. He was a veteran RA and I was a mid-year hire. He took me under his wing and showed me the ropes of the position. Without him, I woud have fallen flat on my face in the position.

HC: What would you say is the foundation of your relationship then?

Kimmi: The foundation of our relationship is friendship. Keith and I were best friends for a year before we ever began dating. He was, and still is, truly my best friend in the world. This friendship allows us to get through bad times, hard times, slow times, and really appreciate the good, fun, and exciting times. His friendship has supported me through everything and is the strongest foundational aspect that I believe allows our relationship to thrive and continue.

HC: Would you say that your time as VSU influenced your relationship at all? And if it was influenced, how?

Kimmi: If it wasn’t for VSU, we may not have ever crossed paths. Because of the student employment opportunities VSU has, we were able to work for Housing & Residence Life (HRL) and meet one another. I owe VSU everything for bringing myself and my soul mate together.

HC: In your time at VSU, you were a sister of Alpha Sigma Alpha and Keith was a brother of Phi Beta Sigma. What was it like to be a Greek couple?

Kimmi: Being a Greek couple together was and still is a wonderful thing. Whenever one of us would discuss different areas or issues within Greek life or our individual chapters, the other was able to understand wholeheartedly what was being said and/or addressed. Greek life, leadership, and involvement were all things we each value and being able to share that with each other allowed us to develop an unconquerable team dynamic between the two of us.

HC: What would you say it has been like to transition from dating in college to the professional world?

Kimmi: Transitioning from dating in college to now has been a challenge. When we were both undergraduate students, we had much more time with one another doing “the little things”. Now that we have more responsibilities and less free time, we have to manage making time for one another.

We try to have at least one day each week where we spend time with one another. This doesn’t always work out as best as we’d like because life has many different demands often, but we do our best. At the end of the day, knowing I have someone in my corner throughout all of the stress, hustle, and events of “the real world” makes it all so much easier and worthwhile.

HC: Is there any exciting or recent news you and Keith would like to share with us today?

Kimmi: Some exciting news we have to share would be that we just recently got ENGAGED! Keith proposed to me on December 19th and it still feels like a dream. We have not begun wedding planning as of yet. I am a current graduate student and Keith is an aspiring med student, so until we know where life will take us a little more long term, it seems pointless and almost impossible to plan a wedding. Details are TBD/TBA.

It was so exciting to see how a VSU relationship can survive graduation and thrive in the real world! Keep up with Kimmi & Keith on their adventures by following the both of them on Instagram. @kimmicantrell + @drkeithsimmons

University: Valdosta State University Major: American Sign Language & Interpretation Likes: eating doughnuts, going for a run, & doing paperwork Dislikes: tomatoes + lettuce on my cheeseburger, bad attitudes, & walking through mud in white Keds Follow Me: @brokenseaglass + @kekrivsky (Twitter/Instagram)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.