The Truth Behind The Slutwalk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Slutwalk. Slutwalk. Say it with me now. SLUTWALK.

There is a big misconception behind the idea of slutwalks. Many people view slutwalks as women prancing around in skimpy outfits crying out for attention, but that is so wrong.  Yes, women do wear provocative clothing, however, it is so much more than that. Slutwalks are a stand for feminism and a stand against rape culture.  Slutwalks began during 2011 after a Toronto police officer told a group of women that if they did not want to be raped they should not dress like sluts. This comment was made after the campus of Canada’s York University had a experienced a number of rapes. This ignorant comment sent women and men across the world into an outrage. After that, the rest is history, slutwalks began to take place all over the world. After 4 years it seems as though the message still has not gotten through. 

Slutwalks take a stand against Slut Shaming, Victim Blaming, Sexual Injustice, and Inequality between the genders. In a patriarchal society, such as America, it is easy for women to get the short end of the stick when it comes to sexual freedom. If a woman does not want to have sex she is a prude. If a woman expresses herself sexually she is viewed as a whore, but when a man does the same thing he is seen as some sort of hero. In this type of society it is also common for victims of sexual harassment or sexual assault to be blamed. Women are taught to dress a certain way and to take certain percussions in order not to be raped, instead of teaching boys, not to rape women. Women are taught not to drink things from strangers and not to get too drunk. Boys are not taught not to drug women. ​If these so called rape prevention tips worked then sober women would not be raped. It these tips worked, fully dressed women would not be raped. If these so called tips worked women would not be raped in the confines of thier own home. When these tips fail and women are in these situations they are asked “what were wearing”, “ did you have too much to drink”, “did you flirt with him”. The reason for rape is commonly placed on the woman. Slutwalks are a fight against all of these stigmas placed against women.

Earlier this month feminist, Amber Rose hosted a slutwalk in Los Angeles. She openly spoke about slut-shaming she has dealt with over the past few years from fans, her ex husband Wix Khalifa, she even reminisced about the first time she was slut shamed. Rose also focused on groups that face stigmas and more assault than other groups. Women of color, sex workers, and transgender women are more likely to be raped, assaulted, or harassed, because of the stereotypes placed on their group. Hypersexulization of black women make them targets of sexual assault. Sex workers and transgender women are also targets because they are thought to be “open” to these types of things. 

Some people are open minded enough to understand the message of a slutwalk. Even after reading this article some people still will not understand the merit and necessity behind such an event. I will try to make it as simple as possible. 

• A woman is not a slut because of her clothes.
  • A woman is not a slut because she enjoys sex.
  • A woman does not deserve to be raped because of her clothes. 
  • A woman does not deserve to be sexually harassed or assaulted because of her career, her race, or anything else. 
  • WOMEN ARE NOT SEX TOYS

Do your research and find out why slutwalks are an important protest. 

HCXO!

Toni Miles is a Mass Media Major with aspirations of writing, producing her own documentaries, and directing short films in the future. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.