A Transfer Student’s Guide to the College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Is your college experience anything like you expected? Are you comfortable with your living situation or the location of your school? Do you think you are spending a reasonable amount of money in order to attend your college? Are you motivated to get involved with the organizations on campus? If you answered “No” to the majority of these questions, then it may be time for you to transfer.

Transferring to a different college is a difficult decision to make; however, if you choose the right school, your college experience will improve. When choosing the right school, you may want to look at your preferences first. Here are a few things to consider:

Consider which schools are best for your major: Your major is the most important factor in your college experience. When narrowing down your choices, make sure the schools have an accredited program for your choice of major. Also, different schools have different requirements and prerequisites for each program. Make sure you meet the requirements to enter your program!

Location and size: Some other factors to consider are the environment you are the most comfortable in and whether you would prefer a larger or smaller college. Would you rather live in the city or the country? Are you easily distracted by your surroundings? Do you want to be on an open or closed campus? Do you want the large university feel or a more personal feel? Answering these questions will help you reach a decision.

How to choose your place of residence: Once you have decided where to transfer, another important decision you must make is whether you would rather live on or off campus. The best way to decide is weighing the pros and cons of both options. There are a couple of things to consider when weighing both options. Keep in mind, if you choose to live on campus, there are rules and regulations you must follow and you may not have as much freedom. However, if you decide to live off campus, there are a lot more responsibilities to deal with!

Get familiar with your campus: Once you get settled, it is important to get to know your new campus! Catch a shuttle to see where it takes you, or put on some comfortable shoes and walk around to see where all of your classes are. If you are on an open campus or a campus in the city, explore your area to find activities to do in your spare time, or even job opportunities.

Get Involved: The best way to enjoy your college experience is by getting involved. This is a great way to make new friends and network yourself to create opportunities for your future. If joining organizations is not something you want to do, you can also go to sporting events and forums. This helps when you need a break from homework and studying!

Don’t think of transferring as giving up! College is an important part of your life, so it helps to make your experience enjoyable and memorable, even if you don’t get it right the first time. These tips can help you recreate the college experience that best fits you!

My name is Sameena! I am a criminal justice major at Valdosta State University!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.