The opinions expressed in this article are the writer’s own and do not reflect the views of Her Campus.
Wednesday, September 22, marked the first day of fall. Besides the two minutes of cool air in the morning and the release of pumpkin spice items on various menus, there’s not much to fill me with the spirit of fall. If you’re like me, not in the fall spirit, I suggest you get cozy under a warm blanket, fall victim to a pumpkin spice item (rather it’s a candle or food item), and watch one of these 10 “fall” movies.
- “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” This film is about Charlie Brown and his friends celebrating Halloween. As a child, my mom and I would cuddle under a fuzzy blanket on the couch and watch this film on tv. “It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” is a great movie to kick off the fall season; unfortunately, it will not be aired on tv this year, according to hiddenromote.com, but you can stream it on Apple Tv.
- “Waiting to Exhale” “Navigating through careers, family, and romance, four friends bond over the shortcomings in their love lives — namely, the scarcity of good men. Both as the “other woman,” Savannah (Whitney Houston) and Robin (Lela Rochon) carry on relationships with married men, each believing their lovers will leave their wives for them. On the flip side, Bernadine (Angela Bassett) ends up alone when her husband divorces her for his mistress. Meanwhile, Gloria (Loretta Devine) finds love with a new neighbor” (movie fandom). This film is excellent to watch with girlfriends and reflect. After all, fall is the season for a change! This movie is available to watch on numerous streaming platforms.
- “Addams Family Values” is about “The Addams Family try to rescue their beloved Uncle Fester from his gold-digging new love, a black widow named Debbie” (Imbd). This is a great movie to get in the spooky spirit, along with the next film available, On Freefrom.
- “Hocus Pocus” is about “A curious youngster moves to Salem, where he struggles to fit in before awakening a trio of diabolical witches that were executed in the 17th century” (Imbd). Sidebar I just learned that Kenny Ortega directed this film. Just like the Addams Family Values, this film is great to get in the spooky spirit. This film is available to watch on Disney plus and Freeform.
- “Dead Poets Society. “O, Captain! My Captain!” This film is a classic about “Maverick teacher John Keating uses poetry to embolden his boarding school students to new heights of self-expression” (Imbd). You can watch this film for free on YouTube.
- “Remember the Titans” This film is about “The true story of a newly appointed African-American coach and his high school team on their first season as a racially integrated unit” (Imbd). Football season screams fall to me. You can watch this film on various streaming platforms, including Disney Plus.
- “Legally Blonde” Fall semester = fall vibes. This film is about “Elle Woods, a fashionable sorority queen, who her boyfriend dumps. She decides to follow him to law school. While she is there, she figures out that there is more to her than just looks” (Imbd). You can watch this film on Netflix.
- “Coco” This film is about “Aspiring musician Miguel, confronted with his family’s ancestral ban on music, enters the Land of the Dead to find his great-great-grandfather, a legendary singer” (Imbd). The graphics in the film are beautiful and sure to put you in the spirit of fall. You can watch this film on Disney Plus.
- “To all the Boys I’ve Loved Before” This film is about “A teenage girl’s secret love letters are exposed and wreak havoc on her love life” (Imbd). Again I equate school with fall, and in this case, love as well. You can watch this film on Netflix.
- “The Blind Side” This is another football film that automatically puts me in the fall spirit. The Blind Side is “The story of Michael Oher, a homeless and traumatized boy who became an All-American football player and first-round NFL draft pick with the help of a caring woman and her family” (Imbd). You can watch this film on HBO Max and Amazon Prime.