Senior Jitters: 3 Things Every College Senior Fears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

There are so many things that can send an anxious college senior into a frenzy, but there are a few things that cause more problems than others. One major concern is life after college. Here’s a list of the top three things that many seniors worry about the most when it comes to preparing for the “real world.”

1. Being a Failure/failing

The fear of failing is a very real, very reasonable fear for a college senior to have. It’s so real because you’re so close to the finish line. Anything can trip you up. The thought of being so close to graduation and failing a class that could possibly put you behind is scary, but it is all the more reason to study hard and work smart. In high school, it may have been easier to slack off as a senior, because adulthood seemed a little farther away then than it does now. But college is preparing us for the real world. Thus, “senioritis” can no longer be considered a valid excuse for laziness. Being so close to graduating should be something that propels you forward in your college career, not something that holds you back.

Failing in school isn’t the only fear a college student may have. Failing at life or within your career field is horrifying as well. No one wants to imagine that after spending four plus years in college and paying thousands of dollars towards their education that they won’t be successful in their careers. But again this fear should be something that propels you forward, not something that holds you back. If you are scared of failing, then you should want to know all there is to know about your career. The good news is that you never stop learning, and you’re going to make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, even the best of the best. But, it is important to recognize your mistakes as just that (not failures) and learn from them. The only way you can be considered a failure is if you stop trying and give up.

2. Not being able to find a job after graduation

This is also a very common fear not just among college seniors, but recent graduates as well. When you are approaching/ have approached the end of your college life, you may find yourself asking, “What now?” Even if you have an internship or job lined up after you graduate, the fear that you won’t be able to keep a steady job or even find one within your field is extremely frightening. While it is true that the job market is super competitive, it is also true that there are always opportunities. We just have to look for them and be appreciative when we find those opportunities no matter how small. If you treat every internship and every job with the utmost respect and professionalism, bigger opportunities are bound to come along. Besides, no one has ever started at the top. You have to gain experience and credibility first in order to be considered for the bigger jobs.

3. Hating your job/career

It is important to remember all of the positive reasons why you chose your particular major in the first place, and it is also important to realize that there are aspects of every job that people may not particularly enjoy. You should make a list (a mental list) of all the things that attracted you to your major and the things that you wanted to do with it. If you still believe that your current career path is not for you after considering those things, it is better to change paths early before you become even more resentful and waste years of your life. If you feel like you have to reevaluate your career choice, don’t be embarrassed, because it is something that many people have to do. However, you need to make sure that you have a full understanding of what you like to do the second time around before you end up in another career that you hate.

The hardest thing and the greatest thing about being a young college student is realizing that we have our whole lives ahead of us after college. It can be stressful trying to figure out your entire life after you graduate, but the great thing is that you don’t have to. As long as you are committed to doing your best, seeking out different opportunities, and loving the career you have chosen, money, success—and ultimately—happiness, will not be too far behind. 

HCXO!

Hey lovelies! I am a junior Mass Media major at Valdosta State University. I love writing, fashion and hair, and dancing and singing in the mirror!
Her Campus at Valdosta State.