Review: 4 Reasons To Watch How to Get Away With Murder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Shonda Rhimes has done it again! Yes, she’s brought to us yet ANOTHER amazing show. I must say, I was pretty excited for How Get Away With Murder but I had no idea just how good it was going to be. Just to warn you, this is a major SPOILER ALERT! Here are four reasons why How To Get Away With Murder needs to become a part of your weekly Thursday lineup.

1. Affairs

So the professor/attorney in the show who is teaching her students how to get away with murder turns out to be the lovely Viola Davis, and let me tell you, from the jump she already was not playing around! She’s fierce, snappy and can shut anyone up in a quick second.

Davis’s character, Annalise Keating, comes off as being so well put together and conservative, so let me tell you—I was very surprised when I found out that the tall, dark and handsome guy she was having sex-capades with in the middle of the episode was not her husband. What’s even worse about it is that one of her students, Wes (played by Alfred Enoch), walked in on her and her lover. Talk about awkward! But that’s not even the worst part about it. Things really got awkward when he met the man who is actually her husband. Poor thing couldn’t even handle it all!

2. Murder

So at the beginning of the episode, we’re introduced to four twenty-something-year-old characters. They were all freaking out because they couldn’t come to an agreement about what to do with the dead body they were trying to dispose of. But none of us as an audience knew just who it was wrapped inside the rug.

Then, the show transitioned to three months ago. The four characters that we saw in the first scene were actually law students. Can you imagine that? But anyway, it adds a major twist to everything because why would four law students murder someone? I was definitely curious to find out!

3. Mystery

The entire show is just a huge mystery, and who doesn’t love a mysterious show? From the jump, we’re left wondering who these four people killed and why they’d have any reason at all to kill someone. But the last scene of the show took the mystery to a whole new level. It’s almost like a game of Clue—we know who did it, but we don’t know why, where or when it happened.

4. The last 30 seconds

The ending scene of the episode was EVERYTHING! I kid you not; the last thirty seconds of the episode literally gave me life. They finally showed who the four students murdered. It was Annalise’s husband! It definitely moved the show in a whole other direction. It led me to believe that she either killed her husband and had her students dispose of the body, or she made them kill him. For whatever reason, I was utterly surprised.

Bravo, Shonda. Bravo. This was only the first episode, so can you imagine how amazing all the other episodes will be? But it’s a Shonda Rhimes show, so I have no doubts that the episodes that follow will be anything short of phenomenal. Tune in next Thursday at 10pm with us!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.