Obama’s Stride for the Black Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

As we say farewell to President Barack Obama, many including myself can say it was more than a pleasure to have him serve our country. As far as the black community goes, we can recall Obama’s office term historical and liberating. President Obama has worked hard in making change and improving the lives of all Americans, including the Black community. While this is something felt by many people, others don’t see feel the same way about the Obama Administration. Everyone expressed their reactions to Obama’s farewell address on all platforms of social media. By a surprise, there were some who didn’t feel that Obama’s term did anything to help the black community. Others also say that the only accomplishment Obama made was the fact that he was an African American as president. While these statements are also biased, we can also look back and see that obama has done many things to enhance the status of Black Americans. 

Racism and race relations in general have been a problem in the United States for hundreds of years. If anyone thought that they would somehow disappear by Obama serving office, then anyone can see why they’re disappointed. People think that once you’re president, you tell everyone what to do and you take over the country. It doesn’t work like that and it never has. Even as president, Obama had to fight with Congress as they nearly rejected most bills presented. On bill in particular, Obamacare, was a hardcoming bill that would ensure that every citizen in the US was covered by medical insurance. Because of this, rates for uninsured Americans dropped from 16 % down to 11%. Here are a few more points Obama has done while in office:

– Added over 14 million jobs in a 70 months. This is also the longest stretch to date.

– In 2014, Obama also launch My Brothers Keeper, a nonprofit program that focused on young black men. Prior to President Obama’s term, no other president has included a program such as My Brothers Keeper. 

– Made college more affordable by increasing the Pell Grant by $1000. 

– The Obama Administration helped aid those in need from the housing crisis by allowing homeowners to modify their mortgage.

If this wasn’t enough to prove Obama’s helping hand to the black community, then I’m not too sure what those who oppose him are looking for. He did what he could and has also done more for us that any previous president has. You stressed to America “Yes, We Can” and  we did that and more. If I could, I would want Obama to be my president forever. I’m glad I was apart of history and I witnessed our first African American president in office. I can say he did a great job at what he did, and only wish that future presidents can follow in his footsteps. 

Just your unaverage aspiring writer
Her Campus at Valdosta State.