Netflix Review: To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Netflix released its latest coming of age movie, “To All the Boys I’ve loved before” on Aug 17. The film is an adaptation of the New York Times bestseller of the same written by Jenny Han and it’s honestly the best thing Netflix has done in a while. Here’s why 

This is the first time a Netflix original really nailed the angsty teen drama movie right on the head. I had begun to lose hope in the streaming service’s ability to produce a good teen drama after the premiere of “you get me” and “The Kissing Booth,” but “To All the boys I’ve Loved before is the movie I never knew I needed. 

The film stars Lana Condor as the main character, Lara Jean Song Covey. Can we take a moment to recognize this Asian American representation? Yass! Lara Jean is just so adorable and wonderful I just can’t take it!  The movie doesn’t push overly done stereotypes about Asian Americans to instead, it respectfully portrays the life of an American teen who happens to be of color without making it the center of the entire film which makes it even better. 

It also ditches the dumb jock stereotype and gives us Peter Kavinsky, the lovable, endearing, and thoughtful leading love interest for Lara Jean. 

Everything else aside, this film is beautiful both visually and conceptually. The warm earth tones I the film makes it feel very retro but still current. The outfits are bomb (Lara Jean is a style icon) and the cast is amazing. Hopefully Netflix keeps this winning streak going. 

HCXO <3

Jada Dukes

Valdosta '18

Jada Dukes is a Senior English-Journalism major at Valdosta State University who was born and raised in Warner Robins. Outside of HerCampus, She's written for the VSU Spectator,  MyGeorgiaHometown Magazine and  SouthGeorgiaToday.com. She's also Editor in Chief for the Student run General Interest magazine, OnTap. Her Hobbies include reading, writing and binge watching TV dramas with a strong female lead. Her largest goal in life is to one day meet Oprah and then become her. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.