This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Having a love for makeup can be so fulfilling. You enjoy how it makes you feel and how it makes you look. We as makeup lovers need to be aware that makeup DOES have an expiration date. Makeup does not last forever like we like to think. Trust me; I was once one of those people who didn’t think makeup expired.

An expiration date to me was me running out of that product, but with a little research I quickly learned otherwise. Keep reading to gain some knowledge on when certain makeup expires and how it can actually affect you.

Foundation: 6 mos.-2 yrs.

Smell can be a huge factor in alerting you that it is time to toss your foundation. If you are acne prone like me then you might want to consider tossing your foundation approximately every six months. But let’s be honest, I probably won’t be doing that.

Powder Cosmetics (Blush, Eye Shadow, Bronzer, Etc.): 1-2 yrs.

Powders can last up to two years depending on how you take care of it meaning, if you are cleaning your brushes regularly, so you’ll be less likely to transfer bacteria.

Mascara: 3-6 mos.

The liquid consistency makes a wonderful breeding ground for bacteria, which can lead to infections. Also beware of eyelash mites who can be living on your lashes and then can be transferred back and forth to your favorite mascara.

Eyeliner: 6 mos.-1 yr.

Pencil eyeliner can last up to a year because we are constantly sharpening it which is basically creating a new tip which makes it harder for bacteria to form. On the other hand gel eyeliners that are in pots are a lot more prone to bacteria because we are always dipping and dipping our makeup brushes. That is why it is very important to wash your makeup brushes preferably weekly but biweekly at the max.

Lipstick: 2 yrs.

Sometimes we just have to part ways even if that thing just so happens to be our favorite lipstick. Just know that if your lipstick becomes dry and crumbly then it is time to say goodbye.

Concealer: 1 yr. – 1.5 yrs.

Consistency is key! You should be clearing out your liquid concealer after a year. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Although these are the expiration dates for makeup, I do understand that makeup can be costly and tossing out makeup just because we’re “suppose” to probably won’t happen. I just say be aware, and know your skin, so you will know if you are having a reaction or an unusual breakout. Also, remember expired makeup can also cause you to appear more aged then you really are.

HCXO!

Hillary Griffin is a Business Marketing major and Advertising and Promotions minor at Valdosta State University. She is a 4'11, natural haired girl with a love for all things makeup. Experiencing life the right way is her main goal in life.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.