This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Being in college comes with many lessons for different aspects of your life. You come in contact with a bountiful number of people and you start forming bonds, relationships, and attachments to these people without the thought of them being temporary. As humans, we tend to place value on someone’s presence so much that we start to allow it to consume our lives and we forget how valuable we are (In the process). I am well aware of losing people you wanted to have forever is sad and it is very hard to adjust to if they have been around for a while. But when someone does walk out of your life free willingly release the grip on that connection and allow people to choose what they want. Life is full of choices and journeys, we have to let things and people come and go without resisting change to happen. We are only in control of our decisions, our actions, and our thoughts. I know it can be scary sometimes, losing the people you once held in such high regard thinking that they would be around forever, then one day you are faced with a decision, should you stay or should you go, contemplating the thought of being without that person. 

Euphoria Zendaya Dancing
Giphy

The best way to lose the fear of losing someone is perceiving it is as a positive, and understand that everyone you meet is not meant to come with you on your life journeys, some people are only there to teach you something to help you gain emotional intelligence. Make time for yourself, learn more about yourself, and respect yourself enough to never chase a person who only cares about themselves and doesn’t care about hurting you. I can relate to this firsthand and I was not prepared to let them go and I allowed the hurt to take over my life. But where I am. Stronger than ever. All that matters is that you continuously show up for yourself, applying this into your life will help you develop the love and respect you deserve from others, but first, you HAVE to pour your all into you. Becoming content with betrayal is not the message I want to convey or want you to get from this article but to unapologetically choose yourself, accept yourself and love yourself wholeheartedly, and once you master that you’ll realize you were all that you ever needed. Forgive yourself for seeking your worth in other people and for your past mistakes and move on. In due time, you both will run into the realization that they never deserved someone like you. This all goes to say, remain detached from people, do not take things personally, and stay true to you.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to read my articles. My inspiration comes from my past, present, and, future. Follow me on Instagram @Courtney.Flournoy10