freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Life, Love & College: Relationship Communication 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Relationship advice can sometimes be repetitive and mediocre. Since all relationships are unique in their own way it’s a different story for every couple. There may not be a solid and definite “right” way to resolve issues, but there are healthy and effective ways.

I pride myself on the great communication skills my boyfriend and I have. By being honest and keeping it real, you put your happiness first and know what you want out of the relationship. So I’ve gathered 4 steps to having a successful discussion with your significant other. It’s so simple; just make it work for you. 

1. Listen, Listen, Listen

I know what you’re thinking: of course you have to listen. But I mean really listening, meaning, opening your mind. I tell my boyfriend, “Don’t think about what you’re going to say next, just listen.” As humans we feel, which means perception is reality. Hear his side completely out and accept his outlook, even if it makes you mad. Ask that he does the same for you; relationships are all about give and take. 

2. Be Genuine About How You Feel 

When you’re talking to your partner, mean what you say and explain how you feel. Give examples if you have to, but be respectful. By all means voice your opinion, but remember that this is all out of love and your best interest. It goes without saying to always be completely honest. At the same rate, know when to admit you’re wrong because let’s be honest ladies, a lot of times we’re wrong! We hate to admit it and won’t let him have it but as strong as we are, we make mistakes to. That being said, truly make it a discussion and not a battle. 

3. Compromise

Simply put, a relationship is all about compromise. You nor your partner are the perfect person, or the same person, so you have to be willing to meet halfway. Try not to leave a discussion with unanswered questions and come to a resolution to prevent the issue from arising again. You ideally want to grow and take something from your discussion. That doesn’t mean you have to change or compromise who you are, but rather be willing to learn. It may mean you working on some personal issues or agreeing to disagree in some cases. Just be sure that the two of you are on the same page in the end. Maybe ask him to repeat in his own words what you’re trying to say. Negotiate and be adults about it! 

4. Stay Positive

You should feel confident at the end of any discussion; confident in your relationship and in your partner that everything will be okay. There should be no harsh feelings. Get everything out in the open, then start anew from there. Stay positive! Do not expect the relationship to fail or him to mess up unless you enjoy worrying. Trust your relationship and know that no matter what, you’ve given it your all. Encourage and reward your partner; be happy and have fun! After all, this is supposed to be your best friend. So don’t get caught up in the rules for being the perfect girlfriend or how your relationship should run according to Twitter. Be yourself and live in the moment and you both will be fine! Best of luck! hcxo

An interior design major at VSU, & a creative genius.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.