gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Life, Love & College: Are You Playing the Dating Game?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Dating is like a competitive sport. You’re always primping and prepping for when ‘Mr. Right’ comes around. Of course, you want to look good on the outside; hair, nails, and body on ‘fleek’. However, it’s also important to have your not-so-visible assets together like finances, grades, social life, etc. You want to make sure that everything you have to bring to the table is in pristine shape. Now it’s time to hit the playing field.

Dating, at least from a woman’s perspective, is an often tiresome and frustrating game that most of us don’t like to admit we are participating in. Sometimes we wonder why dating even needs to be a game. Why can’t men be straight forward and honest about it like us? Then when we play the game like them, it’s a huge problem. Ladies, I’m here to let you know that this phenomena, this game, this annoying cycle of ‘I’m not ready to commit yet, but I like sleeping with you.’ is probably never going to end.

Some men, and an increasing amount of women, have become skilled veterans in the game and may never give it up. They play this game so well that it can literally leave you crying and wondering why you didn’t see that move coming. Here’s the thing: even though this game is continuous, you have to remember that there are individuals out there who aren’t playing the dating game; they’re playing the love game. The love game and the dating game are so similar, yet the nature and the goal of each are very different.

Those playing the dating game are ‘playing’ like they are looking for a relationship or love. What they are really looking for is just someone to share their time with, to get to know on a personal level enough to sleep with, and to temporarily be in a situation with; Not a relationship. Those playing the love game are playing a game of chance by trying to figure out who amongst them are the lovers and who are the ‘players’. What they are looking for is true companionship, someone they can fall in love with, and someone they could potentially be with for an extended amount of time.

Essentially we are all ‘playing the game’. We just have to find out which game we are playing and who else is playing it. It’s so tempting sometimes to want to switch over to the dating game and be a player like the majority. The only problem is, once you switch over you’re risking losing your credibility as an honest lover. You know how it is trying to trust someone who is known as a player. Don’t let that be you! Be true to yourself and what you truly want. If that’s love, keep your heart in the game. No one said competing would be easy, but it helps to understand the games a little bit.

Good luck to the lovers out there! 

My name is Marlaina Williams, but everyone who knows me calls me Marlie! I was born in Queens, NY, but Lithonia, GA is what I call home. Since being at Valdosta State University, I have majored in Mass Media. During my Junior year, I picked up a minor in African American studies and I haven't looked back since.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.