Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

How I Started My Own Virgin Hair Business

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

For anyone who may not know, virgin hair is chemically unprocessed human hair, which is collected from a single donor and the donor could be Indian, Malaysian, Brazilian, and much more. Many people do not understand the quality of real virgin hair because the beauty supply stores try to sell “real virgin hair” when really most of the time it is mixed.

There are hundreds of virgin hair vendors in the world, but I didn’t care because I wanted to sell hair, my way. I started my hair business, Beauty In Bundles, in January of 2015. I started this because I was out of school for a month and didn’t want to get a job only for a month. My mother had a hair company in downtown Atlanta a few years ago and she made a lot of money with that business. I figured that with her help and motivation that I could become successful in this competitive business.Well, first things were firsts and I had to find a good supplier for my customers. I went through at least five different ones and finally found one supplier whose hair was superb, this was hair that I wear to this day. You can say that I get high off my own supply. So, after I found my supplier, I had my boyfriend to make my Logo. I had no idea how I wanted it, but he did an amazing job with little instruction. Having a logo made can be a bit pricey, but if you know a friend who can design professional looking logos, go for it. There is nothing wrong with trying to save money when first starting a business. The big money will come later on. 

Thirdly, I created my website. I went through two different web hosts, BigCartel and SupaDupa. I switched from BigCartel because SupaDupa gave me more features for my customers and it was easier to navigate. I had some experience with creating websites and webpages before so this was not difficult for me at all. I had to make my prices to fit my customers wallets, in a way. I had to set myself apart from the rest and create a huge divide. When it came down to shipping, I was very worried because I didnt want to hold all that hair at my house. Instead, I had a supplier who shipped all my orders. It made things easier.

I of course had to get customers so I turned straight to social media. I made a Twitter, Instagram and Facebook page for my company. I paid some promoters to promote my page and my hair. I followed some people that I knew and would follow me back. My followers were coming from referrals as well. My company is honestly based off on referrals, shoutouts, and heavy promotion. I didn’t start to make sales until the second month of the start of my business, but ever since I was able to post reviews, customer pictures and videos, my sales have increased. Overall, the biggest thing it took for my buisness to run properly was patience. Without it, Im not sure if things would be as good as they are now. 

HCXO!

Hello, Paige Buchanan is currently a junior mass media major and journalism minor at Valdosta State University. She loves the art of writing and media. Her career goal is to be a News Anchor. She loves to socialize with new people, explore her options in every aspect, and has many goals set for herself. She always has loved the quote "The Sky Isn't The Limit, It's Only The View" Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: paige_beauty96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.